FX-55 $139.99 @ NewEgg

bryanberlin

Read the overclocking guide a bit. Not the whole thing, I found only 5% of what was posted is necessary to get started. Then refer back to it and read it more as things **** up, opposed to reading the whole thing.

It's called a RAM ratio, ram divider, something like that depending on the board.

Messing with the voltage is required to get some sort of stability. My venice 3000+ wouldn't do 2 GHz at stock, it'd fail on the 36th hour of prime. 0.025v extra, and it worked for over 40.. it was nice to keep it on in the winter like this, so I'd wake up to a warm room.

No CPU can be overclocked on stock voltage and be stable to the point where I'd consider it stable, it'll fail eventually. Even a small notch of extra voltage, I'd recommend, just to ensure stability down the line.

Thank you for the info, yes I read those huge overclooking guides. They got me more confused I would say, because i tried to follow everything in there. In the end it made me back off for now because i did not feel like priming 10 times and tweaking mem timings settings ect.. As some posted here dividers sound good, didn't see it in the guide, maybe it was in there somewhere...

Ok, read some guides for deviders. Lets say I'm shooting for FSB 260, I would set it at DDR320 5:4 correct?

What voltage should I set it at? .6v more?

Just wanted to point out that the FX-55 isn't dual core so nobody gets confused.

You should be able to get the 3700+ to 2.6 pretty easy. So it really wouldn't be worth the extra $ you'd have to spend to get it. Now if you were building a new rig and didn't want a dual core chip, it'd be pretty nice.

eTrustxps you can just run dividers and leave the memory at stock so you don't have to worry about tweaking it. That's what I did with my 3000+ when I OCed it.

I was wondering who will step in and correct this statement. :)

Ok, read some guides for deviders. Lets say I'm shooting for FSB 260, I would set it at DDR320 5:4 correct?

What voltage should I set it at? .6v more?

Stay at 220 HTT, if your PC is running fine so don't mess with it.

Not trying to be rude or anything, but like you said earlier you do not want the headaches. If you don't have much understanding perhaps it's a good move to stay where you are at.

Now if you think you can give it a try, we folks here will be glad to help. You should not start changing your BIOS, especially voltages, without proper knowledge. You could very well fry your hardware.

I suggest you read the guide at your leisure and read it again and then once more. Post questions here if there is something you are unsure of BEFORE you change it in your BIOS.

As stated earlier, your chip "should" reach 2.6 ghz. pretty easily. However, your 2.42 clock is plenty good to run games such as BF2 and you will not see any gain in performance other than bechmarks going up to a 2.6 overclock.

FX55 is single core.

DO not buy single core CPU's. period.

I'm with wangerin 2000% on this one....

If you are thingking of an upgrade, don't do it unless you are going dual-core.

Good luck.

Stay at 220 HTT, if your PC is running fine so don't mess with it.

Not trying to be rude or anything, but like you said earlier you do not want the headaches. If you don't have much understanding perhaps it's a good move to stay where you are at.

Now if you think you can give it a try, we folks here will be glad to help. You should not start changing your BIOS, especially voltages, without proper knowledge. You could very well fry your hardware.

I suggest you read the guide at your leisure and read it again and then once more. Post questions here if there is something you are unsure of BEFORE you change it in your BIOS.

As stated earlier, your chip "should" reach 2.6 ghz. pretty easily. However, your 2.42 clock is plenty good to run games such as BF2 and you will not see any gain in performance other than bechmarks going up to a 2.6 overclock.

I'm with wangerin 2000% on this one....

If you are thingking of an upgrade, don't do it unless you are going dual-core.

Good luck.

Problem is it chokes on 64 player servers when in a crowded area. I'm running it at 1440x900. I tried many different 64 player servers, its pretty constant.

I think it needs some more push on the CPU side..

lol yeah nice move

did everyone notice the sweet timing DDR 400 sticks are also going by the wayside ie OCZ Titanium 2x1GB 2-3-2-5. OCZ reps said they just made final shipment to Egg and thats all they have its getting too expensive & its going for $283.00 plus shipping :-O

• 3 weeks later...