FX-55 $139.99 @ NewEgg

bryanberlin

Would I get a noticeable improvement over my current CPU @ 220FSB?

You should be able to shoot that processor way over 220HT. Not sure if you're using a divider or trying to do a 1:1 ratio with processor and memory? I would hold on to that 3700+ Since in most cases those processor hit around 2.9+ GHz

You should be able to shoot that processor way over 220HT. Not sure if you're using a divider or trying to do a 1:1 ratio with processor and memory? I would hold on to that 3700+ Since in most cases those processor hit around 2.9+ GHz

Besides FSB what else should I change? I'm not hardcore like most of you are, I don't want to Prime for 24hrs, tweak all the memory settings, 24hrs tweak again... I Want to keep it fairly simple and reliable for now, don't need to max it out.

It starts getting CTDs in BF2 with 221 & higher. Maybe I need to up the voltage..

It's dual core, of course.

Just wanted to point out that the FX-55 isn't dual core so nobody gets confused.

You should be able to get the 3700+ to 2.6 pretty easy. So it really wouldn't be worth the extra $ you'd have to spend to get it. Now if you were building a new rig and didn't want a dual core chip, it'd be pretty nice.

eTrustxps you can just run dividers and leave the memory at stock so you don't have to worry about tweaking it. That's what I did with my 3000+ when I OCed it.

Besides FSB what else should I change? I'm not hardcore like most of you are, I don't want to Prime for 24hrs, tweak all the memory settings, 24hrs tweak again... I Want to keep it fairly simple and reliable for now, don't need to max it out.

It starts getting CTDs in BF2 with 221 & higher. Maybe I need to up the voltage..

You don't need to tweak memory settings to get high CPU speed, you can keep RAM at stock if it really intimidates you, I did for a while.

You don't need 24 hours of tweaking - I do about a minute in the BIOS, boot up, and run things. If it works, it works, if it doesn't, I know when I wake up and see something failed.

eTrustxps you can just run dividers and leave the memory at stock so you don't have to worry about tweaking it. That's what I did with my 3000+ when I OCed it.

Interesting where do I get these dividers and more info on it? Are they physical devices or virtual as in BIOS or drivers?

Should I mess with the voltage?

Read the overclocking guide a bit. Not the whole thing, I found only 5% of what was posted is necessary to get started. Then refer back to it and read it more as things **** up, opposed to reading the whole thing.

It's called a RAM ratio, ram divider, something like that depending on the board.

Messing with the voltage is required to get some sort of stability. My venice 3000+ wouldn't do 2 GHz at stock, it'd fail on the 36th hour of prime. 0.025v extra, and it worked for over 40.. it was nice to keep it on in the winter like this, so I'd wake up to a warm room.

No CPU can be overclocked on stock voltage and be stable to the point where I'd consider it stable, it'll fail eventually. Even a small notch of extra voltage, I'd recommend, just to ensure stability down the line.