Have I hit the OC brick wall - Opty165 beyond 2.7?

DrMekon

Dont get me wrong, Im chuffed to be able to get 2.7, but thats as far as I can seem to take it... I was hoping for 2.8, purely because my previous chip was a 146 @ 2.8ghz...!!!

165 CCBBE 0615EPMW

Hitting 2.7 was quite easy really and can be done from stock on everything, apart from a slight rise in ddr volts... now Ive done what I think is right, by dropping off the memory divider to 100 and loosening timings to 3-4-4-8 and my pc will hit about 2.88 (320x9) on 1.35/1.375v... but when I try to improve the memory, to say 166, I usually get a BSOD - is this an indicaiton that the weak point is the mem...?? I would be a bit gutted about this, as I did a bit of research before I got my ram almost a year ago, and it seemed to have good reviews....

The brunt of it is, Ive tried upping the vcore to 1.425v and the ram to 2.8v but then cannot even post properly... I seem to now be on a mission to get a stable 2.8v even though the increase form 2.7 will not be noticeable, now I know I cant get it, I want it even morre!!!!

Maybe my thinking is wrong, but as | can hit 2.7 on stock, I would have expected to be hitting 2.9 by pushing more volts and making a few adjustments.. or am I still searching for the right setting???

Any advice...???

Ok thanks.. Im sure Ill hit the right combination, its just a bit frustrating!!!

One thing about the ram, and dividers.... as I increase the FSB, and use a divider, so potentially the ram could be slower than 1:1.. is there a need to up the voltage...??? I thought upping the volts to the ram would be used when you are trying to push for more speed from them...

Yeah RAM Volts are usually only increased for increasedclock speeds but, I think yours are prety much the same chips as mine (2.6V - 2.8V).

I just increased mine to 2.8V even for running at stock settings, you could do the same I suppose (check to see if thats is the correct max voltage - should be a sticker on heatsink) but, dont go over that value. Also if you wanna run at max V's then I would advise rigging a small fan to aid the cooling in the RAM area, give it all the help you can to stay cool :)

P.S. I would edit your sig too to reflect that you are using the 165 now instead of the 146 ;)

r4z

Your scaring me since we have very similar systems.... same CPU w/stepping and memory.

Evil is right... go back to 2.7 and change each setting at a time ( testing in between ) to check your stability and so on. I myself, have been 3D testing stabilty first and then ensuring my system can pass hours of memtest, OCCT and dual prime... from what I've read, our sticks don't like OC'ing and 3D'ing and most people have experienced the same.... anything over a 260/270FSB tends to render the system unstable in 3D but stable through hours of memtest or prime95...

... annoying, I know, especially for the OC'er/gemers out there . Not to sound mean but I do hope it is your mobo holding you back, if so, could be as simple as trying a different bios... but yea, I'm hoping to go over 2.7/2.8Ghz myself once I get the proper cooling... as for cooling, what are you using and are you monitoring your temps? Prehaps chipset is running to hot but if you can't post, shouldn't be a temp problem however, I have noticed people upping the chipset voltage by a volt or 2 in extreme overclocks ( the non-Expert defaults at 1.2 if I remember correctly ) so have you tried that? Of course though, you'll run that chipset even hotter so watch those temps!

I haven't reached 2.7 yet but if you got there mostly on defaults except for a divider than that is great... I myself have achieved the same at 2.56Ghz on a 180 divider, but the mobo might be the difference there. Something I have noticed with our sticks is they do run run great at defaults, but require tweaking for anything else and from my experience thusfar and knowledge aquired, they don't really like to be tweaked all that much so....

Chipset voltage?

Bios?

Timings? *

* try 1 change at a time on these, not too sure if they'll like the 3-4-4-8 timings your using but 3-3-3-8 seemed to open the door for me... unfortunately I'm not quite upto your speeds yet though.

Try increasing your Max async latency to 9 and preamble to between 6.5 and 8.0. Going over 8 for preamble results in no boot for me and I isolated these two settings as the culprit. I have read many others having found these two settings to be VITAL also. 7.5 RPT and 9 MAL works for me

Hope you get more out of yours, mine currently doing 2925 stable, gone higher but not prime stable at 3.0Ghz besides Im on air and need a better cooler.

Good luck!

from what I've read, our sticks don't like OC'ing and 3D'ing and most people have experienced the same.... anything over a 260/270FSB tends to render the system unstable in 3D but stable through hours of memtest or prime95...

... annoying, I know, especially for the OC'er/gemers out there .

Right on the money, the Mushkin Redline and G.Skill HV Series are sticks that will run with very tight latencies but, only very close to the stock Mhz clock speed.

They are perfect for gamers as they have the desired tight latencies but, ocer's will have to look elsewhere, 260Mhz is the top OC you will achieve and even then its a maybe....personally I would run at stock with the tight latencies - I know Mhz is king with regards to Athlon64 but, for the sake of 10Mhz or definate stability? Its the latter for me every time.

r4z

the Mushkin Redline and G.Skill HV Series are sticks that will run with very tight latencies but, only very close to the stock Mhz clock speed.

They are perfect for gamers as they have the desired tight latencies but, ocer's will have to look elsewhere, 260Mhz is the top OC you will achieve and even then its a maybe

I don't know where that was heard at but CE-5/CE-6 chips have just as much of a chance for a great overclock as any other chip. Everything has to come together to achieve it. An above average set of sticks, a cooperative memory controller and probably most importantly the correct timings. Auto settings are not going to get it to reach exceptional speeds with these sticks. It can take days of testing to reach these speeds.

Unless a person sits around all day running Super_Pi, the speed doesn't mean much anyway. For 24/7 use, obtain the highest stable overclock on the processor and then use a divider to get the memory somewhere near 250MHz. The system will be just as responsive as if the memory was at 270MHz.

I gleaned that impression from this post by Sharp...

http://www.dfi-street.com/forum/showpost.p...680&postcount=1

It says at the end

Infineon CE-6

- Will only need 2.6v-2.7v

- 2-3-2-5 @200Mhz

- 3-3-2-X @250Mhz

- Maximum Overclock ~260Mhz

Just what I read...anyway out of interest what kind of Mhz OC on the RAM (% wise?) would start to impact on day to day usage and gaming do you think?

r4z