Sign in to follow this  
PanzerIV

Can't boot anymore after flashing BIOS through OS!

22 members have voted

1. 1.

• I always flash it through a floppy drive.
    • I always flash it through an OS (WinXP, Linux...).
    • I never took the risk of flashing my BIOS.

Couldn't be simpler..... with the power off (and yourself suitably grounded to remove any static) you pop out the old cmos chip and replace it with a new one.

Hopefully it won't come to that though.

You pop it off with your fingers or you really need to have a screwdriver? Then you just push the new one until it "clips", no welding required and that's it? Also how much without shipping would it cost to TMod to make a chip and would it be free if still on warrenty? Thanks in advance for the info. :rolleyes:

Just to be sure, the CMOS chip is the same thing as the "BIOS Chip"???

So if everyone just do this in order to fix their corrupted flashed bios, then it means that you can't 100% kill ur bios???

In essence NO the bios on the NF4 boards is not in the least prone to corruption...what happens is that most use winflash without going into the bios and loading optimized defaults and rebooting to windows and then using winflash and the cmos and the bios chipset find it ultra hard to handshake afterwards...most any winflash appearance of a failed flash is generated by the habits of the user themselves.

Tmod is not rolling in money supplying pre-flashed bios chips to users of the NF4 board for sure.

Upon handing out the extended and precise CMOS clearing procedure as outlined above the recover rate is now beyond 99% success. In the sending out of bios chips to 'try' and recover from this so-called failed flash by use of winflash...the recovery rate is 2 out 29...so the bios chip is seldom if ever the issue. It is in the procedure or lack of procedure in the joy and urge to flash that brings the dreaded no 'booty' after flash in over 99% of the instances.

I quit counting once I passed the 400 mark in bios flashing with winflash and did so with no failures...because I booted to bios and loaded optimized defaults and the rebooted to windows and then used winflash with FLASH ALL checked and then when asked to reboot said H*LL NO and flashed it again and most of the time when asked to reboot said NO THANK YOU and flashed again before saying ok now you can reboot...that trick was learned back in the hey day of failed NF2 flashes and I chose not to change a working regimen and continued it straight thru the NF3 to the NF4 and now still on the 975X/G boards...when it works and works as well as it has for me...you just don't normally see me change my patterns.

I use the same principle in flashing from Dos by using /e to make the flash return to the A:> prompt and flasher up again...works and I do it because I have no wish to see failed flashing on my stuff. Luck all.

RGone...:confused:

Wow that's really lame that no one and not even in the help file of WinFlash they say to load optimised default FIRST (because the check box for loading optimised default never works) neither to reflash 3-4 time because the program is a load of crap and work 1 time on 400.

I did what the Robert (Tech) told me to do and I even stood 15 houres at the clear cmos and it still haven't worked. I get a blank screen on startup after the beep and can't do anything, not even enter in the ******* bios. So I guess I'll have to buy a new bios because of DFI's own fault?!?

I'll get crazy if I can't go anymore on my computer. I spended all the money I had to buy that new computer and now I got 0$ and don't feel at all like going at -100$ to buy a new motherboard just because of a little chip... :mad:

So if I really can't recover it at all, what should I do, considering that it only does 30 days that I have the motherboard?

Also do you have any idea of what does the trick of holding the Insert key until you hear the beeping sound? :confused:

Ahhh I'm desesperate now (-_-)

''PanzerIV'', if I were you, I would contact the place the board was purchased from and see if you are inside their short rma window and rma that board to them...I have seen less than 4% of these boards that will recover BY ONLY putting in a pre-flashed bios chip...you can try that but I am almost certain is a waste of time and delay.

RGone...:confused:

EDIT: I see this in your signature...Saitek Eclipse | Razer Copperhead "Tempest Blue" is that Usb keyboard what you are trying to use when pressing INSERT key during the boot process? Is it inputted at Usb or PS/2 port? If it is Usb inputted, my guess is you will never have INSERT key depression work right now at this critical point in time...it was thing that struck me after reading the thread again...and by all means unplug any Usb device inputted to the computer during this hour of recovery need.

Secondly...it is pretty well known and should go without needing said amongst most that you do not flash a bios when overclocked nor when unstable and the optimized default condition is just that...theoretically optimum...and the place one would put themselves before attemtping anything as serious as a bios flash...oh yes some get by with all sorts of rather dubious procedures when preparing to flash but there is a better way and in most cases from the day I built my first rig...I had studied the configuring/assembling/maintenance of a pc rig...DIY'ing does require that the user assume a good deal more responsibilty himself than buying a ready-built for sure...you may only be on the receiving end of a bios flash that failed and never happen to you again...it happens like that sometimes...maybe the cmos was a little on the wonky side...who knows...we all try and troubleshoot out of a seen problem and the fix and that is about it...if the board were in front of me...I might fix it...but it ain't and will likely not be...so get in touch with your seller and rma that board while you can or hopefully can without sending to CA. END EDIT...

Hello,

Holding the insert key tries to make the board boot up using fail safe settings.

Did you try holding the insert key down?

All you do is with the pc off,

- hold insert key down.

- power pc with insert key held down

- keep the insert key down and hopefully you will see the post screen.

Then press DEL.

I tryed the Insert key as Robert told me to do it but it doesn't work any better. I noticed that by using the Insert trick I get 3 red led instead of just 1.

Seriously that's BS that over 98-99% people get to recover their corrupted bios by doing that "long clear cmos" trick... Everytime I buy something I always get a damn badluck and end up losing money.

''PanzerIV'', if I were you, I would contact the place the board was purchased from and see if you are inside their short rma window and rma that board to them...I have seen less than 4% of these boards that will recover BY ONLY putting in a pre-flashed bios chip...you can try that but I am almost certain is a waste of time and delay.
Won't they notice it and say that I void the warrenty? Ahh I can't believe that even a new pre-flashed bios wouldn't work any better... BUT if I backed up my old working bios just before flashing, would it work? I tryed to open the bios with wordpad just for fun and noticed a few things inside like the name of my processor and a few other little things. What you think about this?

I tryed the Insert key as Robert told me to do it but it doesn't work any better. I noticed that by using the Insert trick I get 3 red led instead of just 1.

Seriously that's BS that over 98-99% people get to recover their corrupted bios by doing that "long clear cmos" trick... Everytime I buy something I always get a damn badluck and end up losing money.

Won't they notice it and say that I void the warrenty? Ahh I can't believe that even a new pre-flashed bios wouldn't work any better... BUT if I backed up my old working bios just before flashing, would it work? I tryed to open the bios with wordpad just for fun and noticed a few things inside like the name of my processor and a few other little things. What you think about this?

Rgone was right about the USB. I had a USB keyboard and whenever my old PC crashed or w/e I couldn't get past the OS Selection Menu because it was a USB keyboard. I never figured it out until I plugged in a regular keyboard and put 2+2 together.

I doubt that helps seeing as you got the Insert hey to work 50% of the way. Just figured I put my two cents in here somewhere.

EDIT: by the way, whenever I Winflash, I always do it right when I first get the board. When everything is setup I load the OS, get online, do what I have to do and then restart, make sure everything runs fine for at least 24 hours until I start to o/c and such. I have done it about 4 times and each time it work fine. The 24hour wait period is a precautionary thing for me.

oh yea, this may sound like a dumb question, but you said backup your BIOS??? i was unaware a thing like that existed! if this is real, please tell me how. :END EDIT

oh yea, this may sound like a dumb question, but you said backup your BIOS??? i was unaware a thing like that existed! if this is real, please tell me how. :END EDIT

AwardFlash switches.....

/SY = backup original BIOS to disk

Logan

With a PS/2 keyboard?

Yes, don't seem to work any better. Now I remember, last time I had a bios flashing issue back in 2004 on my old computer, all I did was to reset the CMOS with the battery and jumper then I got able to see something on my screen then reflashed the bios right away with a floppy but now it won't let me see things on the screen even if I hear 1 normal beep.

Do you guys think I see nothing because I use a PCI card (Cirrus Logic 5446 1MB 1996) instead of a PCI-E 16x card??? :confused:

oh yea, this may sound like a dumb question, but you said backup your BIOS??? i was unaware a thing like that existed! if this is real, please tell me how.
Heh very easy, you would even know if you would read the help file. :P If I remember well, you click on "File > Backup" or else it's just before flashing your bios it will ask for a backup. I tryed with v1.84 I bet that nothing work because this bull crap program erased my working backup bios because of the "Update All" check box. Anyway what's the use to have a backup of your bios somewhere on ur computer, floppy, usb or whatever if you can't restore it because the main one is corrupted! :mad:

From what I noticed (the red leds) it looks like the Insert trick is the same thing as the (Safe Boot) jumper below the BIOS chip on the motherboard.

I knew it, I'm always part of that small 1% user who get extrem badluck and can't do anything to fix things so I'll have to contact the RMA departement then I bet I'll have to pay and send it to USA from Canada and wait a few weeks before having a working computer again... Grrr

Before you said you get 1 led lit, that means its stuck on detecting VGA.

Do you have any PCIe cards?