Sign in to follow this  
hecatoncheires

noob question... RAM timings...

Hi,

im pretty new at this and from what i can tell i shouldn't be running my ram on the auto timings. currently the mobo runs them at 3-3-3-8 on auto. can anyone suggest what i should start with as far as running some set timings?

Try using 2.5-3-3-6 w/2.5v and see what happens. Doesn't the memory have a sticker on the side that states which timings and voltages are the default? Maybe you should also go to their website and look into your model number which is also located on the memory stick to see what you can find. If you only have one 1Gb stick, i think it would still work just not in Dual Channel mode. Unless you have two sticks of 512, not sure. Good Luck!

I got the info from the kingston site, too lazy to pull the ram out of the machine and check the sticker. I have been reading the overclocking thread, it's alot of info to take in. I was just looking for a quick point of reference so i could get the settings off auto asap... thanks guys. im sure ill run into more questions when i start overclocking (what little i expect to get from this ram...) It is a single 1gb stick. I'm just gonna go with it until finances allow an upgrade. This is my first build from scratch and its going great so far.

Guest geesosa73

3-3-3-8 is a good start. The tightest I have ever gotten any of my ram was 2-3-3-6. The reason I suggested reading the overclock guides is because as you know your pc is only as fast as the bottleneck on your pc.

I've got Crucial Ballistix PC3200 running @ 2-2-2-8 2.8v [email protected] I'd like to go higher on HTT, but when I try 225 I can get through 3dmark05, but usually fail on SuperPi.

I've read through the overclocking guide here, but to be honest most of it went straight through my head without stopping. Can anybody point me to some more relaxed settings which might get me a bit higher? I've tried 2.5-3-3-7 and got to 230 (completed superpi and 3d05), is this a reasonable setting from which to go higher?

Be gentle, I'm learning.....