cant run at stock FSB

Trying to run 3200+Barton at 200fsb isnt working... managed to get FSB to 182FSB and runs at 2.03ghz now. But seems very slow when opening appz or just even folders.

I believe the multiplyer is locked on this cpu, so havent touched that.

i have the ram set to by spd... tried 1:1 ratio but that caused probs.

from reading other threads i changed the HAL to advanced configuration and power interface (ACPI) PC. cant notice much difference.

im left thinking there could be a currupt bios here running 11/24/2004 DFI

all i want to do is run this barton at stock speeds which im having trouble doing.

any help here will be good.. even help to the most stable bios version for this cpu. read about tictac tmod versions etc...

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Post up a complete list of your bios settings, with particular attention to your ram settings. I will say at the start though, that the XP 3200 has known issuse running in the LPB. However some people have had success.

Cheers here goes.... listed too much probably as i dont know what some of it means...

CPU L1 cache - enabled

CPU L2 cache - enabled

APIC mode - enabled

MPS version control for OS - 1.4

HDD access modes - LBH

System performance - optimal

CPU interface - optimal

memory timings - optimal

T(RAS) 9

T(RCD-Read) 4

T(RCD-Write) 4

CAS latency 3.0

T(RC) 13

T(RFC) 15

superbypass - enabled

sync mode memory bypass - auto

AGP aperture - 256m

CPU thermal throttling - 50.0%

ACPI function - enabled

ACPI suspend type - S1(POS)

AGP latency - 32

system temp = 39 degrees C

CPU temp = 49 degrees C

+3.3v = -3.23v

+5v = 4.94v

+12v = 12.09v

-12v = -13.02v

VBAT(v)= 3.15v

5VSB(v)= 4.92v

GENIE BIOS SETTINGS

cpu clock and AGP spread spectrum - disabled

CPU clock setting = 184mhz

AGP clock setting = auto

CPU ratio = default

DDR DRAM clock = by SPD

current CPU voltage is 1.76v

current Dimm voltage is 2.62v

THESE FLUCTUATE SLIGHTLY?? IS THAT NORMAL??

ALL voltage controls set to auto.

hope i aint listed loads of useless info

cheers

Strike two:(

NF2 dont like CL3 memory

With that said, My Ultra b did run on some CL3 samsung TCCC chips but I couldnt run over 218fsb but Im using a mobile 2600 cpu

cheers what is the best memory to work nice on this board then??

can i change the timings on the CL? i havent tried to fiddle with the ram timings as it is a big grey area for me.

i have run memtest32 from floppy and S&M in windows and both passed

Try

System performance - Expert

CPU interface - Aggressive

memory timings - Expert

(My processor doesn't like optimal)

The expert settings will give you control over some settings that may prove helpful.

Try giving the mems 2.7v start clocking up if you can. Also thats alot of warmth comming off the cpu if thats the bios temp.

You should able to lower the the cpu voltage to 1.65.(If you can't something is wrong) I tried to look up the specs on your powersupply but I can google no data. FX5700 is a nice card but it wants lotsa juice. I noticed the -12v rail was reading 13.02v That could be a sign of loading also. Have you tested your sticks to see if 1 had gone bad? Some poeple have had some good luck w/CL3. (But then again some poeple have had some luck w/utt-bh5)

Also "Disable thermal throttling".

Edit: You can change the CL and other timings. But the computer may not post.(It probably will but it might not.) So read up on proper cmos clearing before you do.

I really don't want to see any new 4led threads. Best to you keep us posted.

Edit2: When changing bios settings try to only change 1-2 save and exit. then go back and change 1-2 more. This reduces the chance of bios corruption.

Edit3 Oh ok finally caught that both sticks passed. Did you test them @200? Or 183?

Edit4: Best Memory memory moduals? I like TCCD myself. Though some poeple prefer BH5 others like UTT-CH5. Depends on whacha' want.

CPU setting: 200

AGP Clock:=66mhz (Mines 67)

CPU Ratio:=11 (Its probably locked at 11 anyway later you might try other settings)

DDR DRAM Clock:1-1. (It really should work best like this. That it don't makes me wonder))

CPU voltage control: 1.65

AGP voltage control:1.5 is std I give mine 1.6 for good measure.

Chipset voltage:1.6 (Mines set to 1.7)

Dram voltage control:2.7 This maybe your trouble right here. D-C usually likes 2.7

In all honesty i think the best thing you could do would be to get a good quality psu. The one you are running costs £14, the price alone should tell you all you need to know about that. Then change your ram, as Clay said, TCCD is good in the LPB. For now though, the settings that Clay has given you should work. Change Cas from 3 to 2.5, LPB's don't like Cas3.

Yes when you try to google a psu and can't find find any amperage spec's or other specs other than all the fantastic features for the wonderful price and the add to cart button. It could tend to make some of us wonder if this power supply is possibly not the best choice for some applications. It's a common enough mistake for newer builders. So is the tendencey to try to reuse thermal tape on processor heatsinks. We all had to learn somehow. I missed the thermal tape mistake.(8088's don't need it) I've probably seen 20 poeple try to do that.

When I started overclocking seroiusly on these newer computers.(Not very long ago LOL) I had PSU problems galore. I killed three this year. 2# quality 1s and 1 el cheapo.(AZ heat I think was a big factor)

My OCZ's are the only ones left standing.

thanks guys... system has been a total idiot today. couldnt even play mp3s in media player or winamp without popping and slowing down.

back to the bios then thanks guys... ill try out all what you suggested.. i was thinking the psu might suck too.... what is TCCD? is it a brand or memory type?

sorry about newbie questions here...