New To Overclocking

newbie_in_ny

guys just did my first overclock my system, celeron 2ghz ecs p4vmm2 mainboard 192mb of pc100 ram 15gig harddrive mid tower with 350watt ps, the only thing i did is set the front side bus jumper to 533mhz but when i did that the setting for my memory went to 133mhz, now it takes about 3 pushs on the reset button on my case to get it to boot once it boots its pretty stable i downloaded cpuid and it tells me i'm running at 2.59ghz, is having a 133mhz setting with 100mhz ram bad? thanks so much, great site

ECS boards are known for their non-existant ability to overclock, mostly due to the way that they are manufactured. The PC100 ram should not have any issues being OC'd to 133, but that again depends on manufacturer. Sounds like you have a decent PSU, 350w. Bare in mind again that you are running on budget parts and that can reduce your overclocking experience. If you are finding that you have to reset the system 3x to get it to boot, I would question the power supply's ability to pump the right voltage when its needed.

If it was a RAM issue, the computer would freeze, blue screen, or not even boot. I would believe it to be the PSU, and ECS boards are hungry for power.

i think a 400watt power supply is worth a shot or should i go bigger say 450

btw everything powers up i hear the harddrive start to turn and the front temp readout seems to be as bright when set to 2.ghz

does this mainboard let me det the fsb in 1mhz steps?