Sign in to follow this  
CrAsHnBuRnXp

Need some help

Okay. Heres the deal. I got my Ultra-D board and most of my other parts today. I do not have everythign that is in my sig in this comptuer yet. Right now, I am running on the OCZ 600w, the Ultra-D motherboard, 3xSATA drives (WD 80GB 3GB/s, WD 250GB 3Gb/s, and a Maxtor 300GB 150Gb/s), OCZ Gold Ram (2GB), and a 3200+ Venice. Everything is running stock speeds and have not oced a thing. Right now, I am trying to get everything working correctly and am havening little luck.

What is going on is I have installed windows on my 80gig hard drive and have gotten to the desktop to install the drivers that are on the CD. During the boot process (after the restart), it tells me that there is a disk failure. Thinking Windows got corrupt, I reinstalled. Did the exact same process again, same error. I restarted the computer with the Windows CD in the drive and my attention got away from my computer for a minute. Within this minute, I looked over and I was on my Windows desktop. From what I have discovered, Windows will only start with the XP CD in the drive. If I take it out, I get that disk read error or failure or whatever. (I cant remember it at this point and time. Too tired) I have reset my boot order to the following: CD, HDD, removable. I have also tried HDD, CD removable, but no luck.

My 300GB hard drive is from my previous build and has stuff on it. When I go to install XP on my hard drive, the order of the hard drives the Windows setup gives me are as follows: 300GB, 80GB, 250GB. The 300GB is my C: and Windows is G:. I have tried to change the drive letter of my 300GB and it will not let me. I have reason to believe that the motherboard is trying to load the OS from my 300GB and cannot find it thus giving my that disk failure error. But if I have my XP CD in my DVD drive, it loads windows just fine.

So what do you guys think could be the problem. I know this may sound a bit confusing as I am tired and can barely keep my eyes open. If you need clarification on something, let me know and I will do my best to clear things up. Thank you.

I would definitely disconnect all drives that are NOT your OS drive and reinstall XP on just that drive, get all your drivers and whatnot loaded, then see where you stand.

It's a good practice to only have a single drive (or drives, if you're doing a RAID array) connected when installing your operating system. Might not solve your particular problem, but give her a shot. I always set the boot order to HDD first as well, (of course the OS drive first too) and manually force it to boot from the XP CD when first installing the OS...though that's personal preference and probably won't matter much.

That's the way I usually set up drives.The OS drive then storage etc.

So far, I have all three sata hdd connected and it boots just fine. I did the os drive, the storage drive, then the game drive. (game drive is the 300GB). Hopefully when I reload Windows from here on out, I will not have to do that each time.

man have you checked the jumper configuration on your hdds? make sure your 80 GB (the one that has the windows you wish to boot) one is set as master, and the rest of the suckers are slaves or on cable select. mess with the jumpers a little bit and the problem's over.

man have you checked the jumper configuration on your hdds? make sure your 80 GB (the one that has the windows you wish to boot) one is set as master, and the rest of the suckers are slaves or on cable select. mess with the jumpers a little bit and the problem's over.

They're SATA.

I think I have the problem fixed now. I unplugged all the hard drives but the 80GB installed windows, installed the drivers, rebooted, plugged in the 250GB rebooted, got to windows, plugged in 300GB rebooted and all seems to be going well atm. Thanks for the suggestion of unplugging the hard drives. Dont think I would hvae thunk to do it. :S

i've had this described problem before, and sadly, this is how XP is programmed. if you want a specific drive to end up as C: when installing XP, the only way to do it is to unplug all the other drives.

if you have any previous windows installations, it'll pick the previous install as the new root drive, it's just how xp works, sadly.

This is just an affirmation post concerning the proper build procedure for NF4 boards running Windows XP.

Your initial build can ONLY have one hdd or array connected to the board during the intial Windows install. If you do otherwise, Windows will put your boot and .ini files on one drive, and the remainder of the Windows operating system on the other drive. The ONLY way to prevent this from happening is to ensure that only one hdd or one RAID array is connected during the initial Windows installation. After Windows is installed, you can go back and add your addtional drives.

It is also important that after the Windows installation is complete, that you go back into your BIOS and make sure that your hdd is the first boot device.

When I'm doing a new build or a reinstall, the CD ROM is the first boot device, and all other boot devices are disabled. After Windows is installed, then I go back and enable the other boot devices and set my hdd as the first boot device, cd rom second boot device etc.