SLI doesn't work

heh, its been awhile since i created a thread here....

well, hopefully this can catch the attention of a DFI engineer :angel:

anyhow, the story in a nutshell:

- Had 1 7900GT. Works fine.

- Bought 2nd 7900GT (henceforth will be designated as the NEW card, install to 2nd PCIx16 slot, put the bridge, even tried new driver.... heck, i even tried flashing both cards to be 100% identical to each other. nothing happened.:sad: Windows doesn't recognize the NEW card at all.

- Unplug the OLD card, tried NEW card alone at the 1st PCIx16 slot. Works great. (oc'd well too)

- Installed OLD card on 2nd PCIx16 slot, Windows doesn't recognize that card; its as if nothing happened. the computer runs on the NEW card thats on the 1st slot, but no SLI.:sad:

- tried unplugging the NEW card, leaving the OLD on the 2nd PCIx16 slot. move the monitor cable onto that card. boot up, mobo sounded 1 very long beep, then 2 short beeps. uh oh. nothing on the screen.

- tried plugging the NEW card on the 2nd PCIx16, plug the monitor, nothing happened too. same short beeps. screen is black.

At this point im at an intersection with a few conclusion:

1. The new VGA is fine.

2.a. INFINITY SLI mobo doesn't work on single card on the 2nd PCIx16 slot. It's only for SLI usage.

Possible solution: tweak the BIOS, driver, anything... but its not a mobo problem...

2.b. INFINITY SLI mobo should be able (just llike any other SLI mobo i know) to boot on single card config installed on either PCIx16 slot. Its just my mobo's 2nd PCIx16 slot is busted.

Possible solution: scrap the mobo. get an Expert mobo.

edit: or RMA? yikes, its nearly 1 yr old and the receipt is gone alooong time ago.....

H-E-L-P!!!!!!!:eek:

small notes: i flashed the BIOS, used Forceware 8*.**, 91.47, 93.71, reinstall Nforce driver, flash the VGA's bios.

thank you for reading :)

anxiously waiting for an answer,

Red

bump.

help.

again, no SLI jumper on the infinity board, SLI Aperture is set to Auto (there's no Enable, the only other option is Disable), and nothing on the Genie BIOS on setting the PCI Lane (there's only HT Width that has 16/16 or 8/16 or 16/8 or 8/8).

can somebody with an SLI Infinity board with a single card test booting up with the card placed on the 2nd PCIEx16 (further from CPU)? Please?

update: checked the manual, it saids if its 1 long beep and 3 short ones (i guess i missed 1 of the short one), that indicates a video error has occured and the BIOS cant initialize the video screen to display any additional info.

that's what i get if i only use 1 video card on the 2nd PCIEx16 slot..........

so my PCIE slot is busted??????????

hey HG, u think i can send the board to u for u to play around wit? see whats wrong? :D

okay u guys got a few hours to post ur oppinion until i order up an Expert board........

please help me save some money!

edit: u guys dont think i dont have enough power dont i? it wouldnt explain why i cant boot up using single card on the 2nd slot... and ive seen people oc'd an X2 + 2x7900GT with 500W PSU...

Hello,

The card should work in the slot, if not there is something wrong.

Are you 100% sure the card is going into the 2nd PCIe slot?

If so, RMA the board.

Maybe take it out of the case and check behind the board.

When you have 2 cards inserted, does the IRQ table list both cards or just one?

update to lates bios and change pci-e mode to sli mode and see if that helps

Read the thread.

small notes: i flashed the BIOS,

again, no SLI jumper on the infinity board

Redbeaver, you should RMA. I really recommend the expert, Like I already said :)

Are you 100% sure the card is going into the 2nd PCIe slot?

lol, well, it wouldnt fit the PCI or PCIEx1 would it? and yes, being nearly 2inches apart, im sure its not going on the 1st slot ;)

Maybe take it out of the case and check behind the board.

damn... ok then.... the electricity works tho, the card on the 2nd slot has the fan spinning n stuff... but its like...its not there....

When you have 2 cards inserted, does the IRQ table list both cards or just one?

just the one on the 1st slot. thats checking from windows that is. how do i see them in BIOS? it only said IRQ auto or manual? n i set to auto. if manual, its just said IRQ 1, 2, etc, nothin about the actual device. so icant really tell.

aas for the split-second DOS screen that flashes after BIOS, listing the actual IRQ list n its devices, im pretty sure there's only 1 7900GT listed there..... being that the board is reporting theres something wrong wit the video if i use single-card config on the 2nd slot, i'll bet my money on there's only 1 entry on that IRQ list.

will check the board in more detail to see any dent or anything, if all looks goood, then i'll grab the expert (and expense it to the office lol hope the accounting dept. wont notice...)

update: just ordered an Expert. will come in 1-2 business days. if that doesnt fix this, i'll be very very....v-e-r-y....pissed.

update @IRQ: there's only 1 device there, but it's already in conflict wit the 1394 adapter... i'll try to disable the 1394 at home to free that one up... im not sure if it'll change anything since the board wont even boot on the 2nd slot.

When I said "Are you 100% sure the card is going into the 2nd PCIe slot"

I was referring to the other x16 PCIe slot.

Yeah the split second DOS screen IRQ table, if it is not there something is wrong. (Doesn't matter if you see conflicts/sharing in DOS).