Sign in to follow this  
BoomTanger

Please help no boot! 4 red lights.. awww!

Okay.. I have a lan party nf4 ultra D and the fan on the motherboard has been making funny noises lately. Then I came home and it was a black screen. I can't get anything to come up on boot. There is 4 red led constantly lit by the pci slots and 1 yellow on by the memory. I have made no recent changes it just stopped working. The fan continues to make a very loud noise. Is my Mobo dead? my video Card? maybe processor?

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance for any input anyone can give.

Guest erico

I have never heard of your PSU. You probably need to replace it.4 LEDS normally mean corrupt BIOS or dead MOBO, but your PSU is not a DFI recommended one (see my SIG for the link to the list of recommended PSU).

Replace the PSU first.

Next, replace the CPU cooler after you inspect the CPU. I say replace the CPU Cooler because of your reporting strange noises coming from it. When you remove the fan clean off the interface material and look closely at the CPU. If your CPU has overheated you will see odd blue discoloration. If you don't see any discoloration then install the replacement cpu cooler.

With your new PSU and cooler try starting up your system. If all works normally you are good to go.

If not then start with a CMOS clear (see my sig for the procedure link). Don't skip any steps!! You will need a PS/2 keyboard to interface with the BIOS after a CMOS clear. Let us know how it goes. :)

Have you tried to properly clear CMOS?

- Remove power from the rig by pulling the plug or switching the PSU off.

- Remove the Battery.

- Move the CMOS jumper to CLEAR.

- Press the Start Button on the case or motherboard to drain the capacitors.

- Leave it clearing for at least 10 minutes.

As long as you've got problems with the chipset fan (I suppose that's the one you're talking about) I wouldn't recommend you to leave the computer on. If it stops the system should shut down if it gets to hot, but it's better to avoid the risks with this scenario.

Your PSU will catch attention, because you're problem could just as well be related to it (if clearing of CMOS doesn't work). I have never heard of that brand and would recommend you to take a look at this link: http://www.dfi-street.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10854

Actually that little ball berringless fan on the motherboard is making the noises not the cpu fan. Oh btw the power button/reset on the front doesn't work at all. I thinking motherboard DEAD.. but I will try a Bios battery pull. Any additional input would be great.. Thx again guys!

Oh btw the power button/reset on the front doesn't work at all.

Ok, so how did you power up the system? I mean if you get it to post, even though it stops with all four diagnostic led lit, it can't be dead in the literal sense. Did you use and do the buttons which are on the actual motherboard work?

Or you didn't try to power up the system, but can't shut it down. If you try to power down the system from the state you describe in the first post you'll probably have to keep the button pressed for some seconds before it happens.

Seriously doubt that your Mobo is dead, unless that dodgy PSU took it with it when it went.

Is your PSU model number YP450-UG? If so, you have only 15A on the +12V rail, and in fact the max output of your PSU is only 350W. To be honest, if it is i'm suprised you were ever able to boot at all - let alone run smoothly...

Try the CMOS clear shown above, but post back with the model number of your PSU so we can give a decent recommendation..

BoomTanger,

Welcome to the Forum

Actually that little ball berringless fan on the motherboard is making the noises not the cpu fan.
Evercool VC-RE. It is a good chipset fan replacement and fits the DFI nF4 motherboard well. It is quieter than stock and a lot of people get a 5ºC - 10ºC drop in temp. Use AS5 when installing the new one. Search for Evercool VC-RE chipset and Evercool VC-RE video, should get some hits.

Oh btw the power button/reset on the front doesn't work at all. I thinking motherboard DEAD.. but I will try a Bios battery pull. Any additional input would be great.. Thx again guys!

Check your DFI Motherboards manual for the proper pin placement for your case power switch. Best to disconnect ALL case wires until you get this sorted out. Also refer to your case manufacture manual if it came will one.

You already been told about your PSU. Here is why you need to change it. The minimal power requirements for a DFI nF4 motherboard is [email protected] for a single video card. DFI motherboards where designed from the ground up to overclock. Good quality components are a key factor in the overall performance of these rigs. Quality RAM and PSU’s will make a world of difference in the stability and overclocking ability of the DFI rig. Even if you are not overclocking the board, because of this design quality components are always preferred.

Thx again... so helpful

I don't believe it is my psu because I paid $100 bucks for it.. it is a very high quality one with full 24pin power connector (450watt) and it has been running fine for me for over a year. I think I will just go buy a new computer. The intell duo core 2's look awsome..

Kind of a side note. Whats the diff between intell duo core 2 and duo core 2 extreme? is extreme out yet and it is much better?

Thanks again!

BoomTanger,

No offence but just because you spent $100 on your PSU doesn’t make it a quality one.

The reason there is a recommended PSU list is because of the efforts of our forum members. They have tested and know what works best in these DFI rigs. The minimal power requirements of [email protected] is set forth by the tech support and thus by the manufacture.

Read these threads on PSU’s.

DFI Recommended Power Supplies

DFI Recommended PSU / RAM Solved My Problem!

Minimum requirements is a 24-pin 480w power supply (PSU)

or not it is your call.

PS.

I paid $109 after rebate and SH from Monarch Computers for one of my OCZ GameXStream 700W.

"high quality"? not hardly.Your PSU doesn't meet minumum specs for AMD or DFI.Good luck using that PSU on any system.

What "Prospector" is trying to say is, DFI boards require a minimum of 480W. This is a questionable minimum in my mind, since I had to replace my OCZ Powerstream 520W.

DFI boards simply require more power than any other boards. The reason --- they just do more. All you have to do is go through the BIOS.

The biggest problem to over-come on this forum is the lack of understanding of the requirements of DFI boards. I was in your shoes just 8 short months ago. Here is a link to prove my point: http://www.dfi-street.com/forum/showthread...ht=old_geekster

Note that one of the first recommendations was that I should replace my PSU. Then, check to see how long it took me to make the change. Enough said!!

How to read your four red diagnostic lights - courtesy of ExRoadie.

Originally Posted by ExRoadie

Here is the way to read the Diagnostic LEDs.

4 LEDs on = Power applied, checking CPU

3 LEDs on = CPU has been detected OK, checking RAM

2 LEDs on = RAM has been detected OK, checking VGA

1 LED on = VGA has been detected OK, entering BIOS

0 LEDs on = System has booted to the Operating System.

As long as you are in the BIOS including running memtest from the BIOS option, there will be one LED on.

Example: If you are getting 3 LEDs on, it means the rig is having trouble detecting the RAM.

First step is to replace non-recommended power supply with one from the recommended power supplies list. Spend your money wisely right here and purchase a unit that will future proof you and provide your rig with good, clean, stable and reliable power. The OCZ GameXStream and Fortron 600 and 700W units are a solid choice.

Perform a full and proper CMOS clear from a no boot condition as tutored by ExRoadie. You can find those instructions, see link in my sig. titled "disaster recovery".

Replace failing NF4 fan with Evercool VC-RE.

If you haven't already fried your motherboard, or your NF4 chipset, then the above steps should get you back up and running.