• 5-6 months
    • 7-8 months
    • 9-10 months
    • 11-12 months
    • every year
    • every other year
    • whenever I have the money to do so

I guess it depends...

I mean..what you do with your pc and what you expect from it....

Up until last week I was running 2 socket A rigs as main rigs... and those were overkill for what I do...Those rig have been in service from day one with the Gigabyte 7NNXP being the full time and the LP-B being the stronger one when I needed some power...

I jumped to NF4 because the parts were available in the forum and it was for the fun of it...plus I wanted to hit 3G's or close to it... and I did... but the whole time the socket A's were in the front of the line...

My main rigs are now a ECS-2800/754 rig and the NF3/3400 rig in my sig...

I use all my NF4 rigs for encoding and such...I have the SLI-DR in sig for rip'n and burn'n as well as the ESC rig... then I have a SLI-DR rig for TIM testing...and the wifes rig SLI-D...

I just today re-did my 3yr old sons PC... he's got a HP-512 with a Socket A conversion...Biostar M7Vig-400 mini-ATX with a 2600-333 cpu for his games (all 100 of them)

setting it up so all he has to do is click to switch games.... no cd's..

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest r3d c0m3t

Speaking of which, I will probably once again (in a matter of speaking) upgrade again next year when Vista comes out. To be quite honest, I'm using Vista as a liable excuse to get my hands on the RD600 board and not to mention the R600. If all goes well, I should finally be able to get my Raptor drives and some pretty spiffy RAM, probably Corsair Dominator or whatever floats my boat when the time comes. Speaking of which anyone use or seen the Dominator in action before?

Didn't know we had a Zeon-follower on the boards, Sieg Zeon!

This is purely coincidental, I assure you that Septim and I will not try to drop Axis on Earth, or maybe we will. :P

How often do you renew your PC?

Not often enough ;)

I was hoping to get a little more mileage out of the 939, but it looks like the next build is going to be a very expensive proposition.

Board, processor, memory and video cards all in one shot:mad: .

I'm thinking I may just give both the Conroe and AM2 a pass and try to make it to the next Gen.

Didn't know we had a Zeon-follower on the boards, Sieg Zeon!

This is purely coincidental, I assure you that Septim and I will not try to drop Axis on Earth, or maybe we will. :P

I like to call myself the "nightmare of Solomon" because I had a teacher named Ms. Solomon and I was in her very first class, and not a good student. :nod:

I'm actually writing a story that's somewhat inspired by Gundam. One of the good guys' fleets is under the command of an Admiral with the initials "AMD" (who also owns the shipyard from which her vessels were created) and all the ships in the fleet are named after processor cores. For instance, there's an Applebred, Morgan, and Spitfire classes of light ships, battleships named Orion, Pluto, Venice, etc. and carrier vessels named after Opteron cores, like Denmark and Santa Ana. :D

Actually I'd kind of like to build a Socket A rig or two. I think that would be fun.

Why did anyone even use Intel back in the Socket A days, anyway?

I am with Mirage...

My main rig is also socket A, and does a very good job too, I admit I just vacuum'ed a SQL db and that did take a while, but I just do other stuff.

I am an engineer (cars/engine builder) by trade and I often see the new, up to the minute stuff causing more trouble than its worth, and my dad has spent his whole working life working with computers and he is happy with a 466 MHz rig for home, but he has said in the last few months that it is getting slow, and is going to see how my build goes and might follow suit.

Having just had a lump of money left to me and thought that I would build a box just for my use and playing with, after I did all the sensible things with most of it, the other thing is I dont play games, well not since 'Elite' and IMO that is what pushes many on with the need for new stuff.

Guest r3d c0m3t

I've just given new life to my current rig with a new and much better PSU, and I'll be upgrading it a bit more over the Christmas holiday. Next up comes thy RAM.

• 2 months later...

prob gonna be 2-4 years by the time I upgrade my system. Unless i actually need a new video card. But two years in and this 7800gt vmodded and overclocked to hell, still kicks in all the latest games. If i do need a new video card, ill still keep the same main components because i do not need anything faster than this cpu to power even 8800gtx's

gonna buy a X-Fi and a new speaker system soon though , but that doesnt count :P

I mostly just upgrade when i have the money to do so.

This rig in my sig has been together for quite some time now (well, 1 yr+) and still does everything i want it to do. Until it feels sluggish, i wont think of any upgrades to the core (mb, cpu, ram, vid) but i will always look at harddrives (always wanted to try raid out, just dont have the spare cash atm) and bling for my case.

When i see something that really WOW's me, i will seriously look at it until i see the pricetag and realize that i would have to not eat for a year to afford it, LOL

i think a good time to upgrade is when your new system will double the performance of your current rig.

This is exactly how I upgrade.

So, my sig will be with me for at least the next 4 - 5 years. XP will be a major part of my system, also. When XP is no longer supported, I'll upgrade my rig and use Linux.