Sign in to follow this  
djtech2k6

Have You Seen This?

Background:

I recently had to replace my board. Now that I have the new one, I put my system back together and windows blue-screened alot. I ended up having to wipe out all the nvidia grafx drivers and nf4 drivers and then reinstall them. Now, it has stabilized more.

Out of curiosity, how many RAID controllers are onboard? I know there are 2 sets of SATA, one SiL and one NV. I know theres a SiL RAID controller. Is there an NVidia one also?

Ok, so on with my real issue. As I now have the system running, my Plextor DVDRW has stopped working. Before the system went down with the board failure, it worked fine. I have a cheap Sony CDRW and a Plextor PX-740a. This drive now will flicker the lights, but it will not eject and windows will not recognize it. To troubleshoot, I uninstalled/reinstalled it, I loaded latest firmware for the drive, and even moved it to its own IDE channel Nothing works. Any ideas? It just seems weird that it would go bad at the exct same time as the board.

Anyone seen anything like this or have any ideas?

Perhaps take it out and check to see if any pins are bent/broken on it's EIDE/ATAPI connector.

Make sure the 4 pin power connector is in. Try a different one maybe?

If your drive is still under warranty I would RMA it if nothing else.

Good luck.

I have plugged/unplugged it many times. None of the pins appear to be bent. I even used a different cable and different EIDE channel. I am using the standard molex connector for power.

The drive is well over 1 year old, so I am sure its not covered.

I was just wondering if anyone had any similar problem and maybe its a config or some known issue on the board. If not, it looks like I will have to spend another $100 to get a new plextor.

If yer drive aint ejecting or nuffing then its a good chance its fudged. Can you maybe test in another system?????? If no go then its fubared, take plunge for new un.....

Yer board has 4x SIlicon image Sata headers (Raid) and 4x Nvidia Sata (Raid) headers, added to that i think you can also enable Nvidia IDE Raid....

Logan

Yeh, I am a bit confused about it now. Since I just plugged in my RAID 0 drives, it did pick it up. They are indeed plugged into the NVidida SATA ports, but I dont know if it is running under the sil raid or the nv raid. In the bios, I had the sil raid disabled, but after a day or so, my system starting blue-screening and not booting right. I re-enabled it and it worked again. As for the SATA ports, I have all enabled in the bios. I do remember another portion in the bios that mentions RAID config and goes port by port, including IDE. I enabled all SATA ports.

I just want to make sure I am using the NVidia chipset for everything, ie raid, SATA, etc. The system seems to run now, so I do not want to screw with it a bunch but I want it to be correct and running at peak like it was before my board died.

If you disable the Silicon image controller in the bios and your drives still work then it means you are using the nvidia one.

The ports are grouped in fours.

nvidia chip = dedicated to the 4 on the right side of the board.

Silicon image = dedicated to the 4 at the bottom of the board.

So if you plug your drives in the any 4 near the right of the board (sata1, sata2,sata3, sata4), you are using the nvidia controller.

If you plug the drive in any of the 4 at the bottom of the board, (sata5,sata6,sata7,sata8) you will be using the silicon image controller.

Plus if you disable the silicon image controller and use the bottom 4 ports, it will not work.

So the key points,

4 ports to the right = nvidia.

4 ports at the bottom = silicon image. (if disable in the bios, will not work)

ok, I am definitely using the NV SATA ports. I have them plugged into the ports in that image, just how it was before the board broke.

My question is about the RAID controller...or is it a seperate thing? I always thought that there were the SATA ports and then a seperate RAID controller, one each for NVidia and SiL. If thats the case, I want to make sure I am using the SATA ports AND RAID controller. I am already using the ports.

The Nvidia "controller" controlls both of the IDE channels and the 4 SATA ports that it is responsible for. I believe all of this is in the single "chipset" chip with the little whining fan on it. This chip also incorporates the northbridge and southbridge functions. The SATA drives can be run in both standard and RAID by the Nvidia controller. To get the drives to be RAID, you have to enable RAID in bios, designate which drives you want to be part of the RAID array, then enter the RAID bios, distinct from the DFI bios (F10 I believe, at startup, instead of DEL), and configure the array. This may not be news to you, but if you have not done this, then the drives are not in a RAID array. Once they're in a RAID array, they no longer appear in the list of dives in the Basic screen in Bios.

If the Plextor is detected correctly in the bios, and opens and closes fine when you're in bios, then you probably have a configuration issue and not a bad drive. Make sure the jumpers on the back are in the right spots, and make sure that in the bios the access mode for both IDE channels are set to auto and everything is enabled. Also check the same thing in device manager (by way of looking at the IDE controller, not the drives themselves). Windows and/or the bios can downgrade the transfer mode and the drives will behave oddly.