Sign in to follow this  
Chil

Internet problems. Mobo gone bad?

Hi everybody. I haven't been around here lately, but I was hoping someone could help me out. I'm living in a college dorm and having some issues that have come up recently.

My internet has been pretty flaky lately, shutting down and being unable to connect in a predictable manner. When trying to use http (in Opera, Firefox, and IE, along with AIM and Steam) it has about a 10% chance of connecting. When it fails, the site tries to load for about 30 seconds then says I can't connect. It seems the connection is going in and out pretty sporadically, but I never get a windows popup saying any network cables have been disconnected. I've tried a few things to fix the stability. I have moved the ethernet cable to the second port on the motherboard, which guarantees a no connect. I have also tried connnecting to a different port on my "router." There are two ports available, and my roomate uses the other. I had him test his connection and it seems rock stable, so I've been able to narrow down the root cause of the problem to either my motherboard port or my ethernet cable. I'll try and test another cable when I can get my hands on one.

Here's what I have a question about. I looked at where my ethernet cable plugs into the mobo. A green light comes up (it doesn't when plugged into the other port) and then stars to flicker and keeps doing so. What I want to know is what that green light means. Is it an activity light, or a connection light? Should a stable connection mean that the light is constantly on? I can't remember what the light was doing when my internet was stable, so I'd like to know.

Any other causes you guys can think of would help in my search. It is still possible that the University cable is going crazy, but it is unlikely. Thanks for any advice you can give.

The light should flicker when you're interenet is trying to work. Like when you are downloading something it will flicker.. Are you using a college internet connection, or are you using you're own cable/dsl?

If you have you're own modem, you could try and reset both the computer/modem/router at the same time. It is more likely that it is something within you're modem or router, or the modem is having a problem connecting. You could always try going into the modem and resetting the connection and see if that helps..

the other ethernet port prolly needs to be enabled in the bios, and maybe even a driver, not sure.

and you can get a pci ethernet (realtek chipset) for about $10, so all is not lost.

later.

baldy

Check your system event viewer. Do you have a bunch of 4226 errors? If you do then this is the known half-open connections issue in XP SP2.

Your options at that point are:

1. Leave it alone - that's apparently how Micro$oft want it to work

2. and this is what I'd recommend - run this utility from lvllord.de. It will increase your half-open connections limit to 50 (or whatever you specify)

One quick note: you will need to reapply this patch (or a newer one) whenever MS release a new TCPIP.sys...

Guest erico
Hi everybody. I haven't been around here lately, but I was hoping someone could help me out. I'm living in a college dorm and having some issues that have come up recently.

My internet has been pretty flaky lately, shutting down and being unable to connect in a predictable manner. When trying to use http (in Opera, Firefox, and IE, along with AIM and Steam) it has about a 10% chance of connecting. When it fails, the site tries to load for about 30 seconds then says I can't connect. It seems the connection is going in and out pretty sporadically, but I never get a windows popup saying any network cables have been disconnected. I've tried a few things to fix the stability. I have moved the ethernet cable to the second port on the motherboard, which guarantees a no connect. I have also tried connnecting to a different port on my "router." There are two ports available, and my roomate uses the other. I had him test his connection and it seems rock stable, so I've been able to narrow down the root cause of the problem to either my motherboard port or my ethernet cable. I'll try and test another cable when I can get my hands on one.

Here's what I have a question about. I looked at where my ethernet cable plugs into the mobo. A green light comes up (it doesn't when plugged into the other port) and then stars to flicker and keeps doing so. What I want to know is what that green light means. Is it an activity light, or a connection light? Should a stable connection mean that the light is constantly on? I can't remember what the light was doing when my internet was stable, so I'd like to know.

Any other causes you guys can think of would help in my search. It is still possible that the University cable is going crazy, but it is unlikely. Thanks for any advice you can give.

The norm for a NIC onboard and PCI is that one is for power and the other is for activity. The power LED should stay on all the time if you have the NIC enabled in BIOS and the drivers loaded. SDometimes they are both green and others are red and green. Check in Device management and consider updating the driver for a possible resolution of your problem. The manual says that your board and my SLI, have two NICs onboard. One is NVIDIA and the other is Marvell GigaBit. Try the other one. If it does not power up when you plug in a CAT5 cable then it is not active (no driver or not enabled). Verify that you have it enabled in BIOS and that you see it in the Device manager.

is a router involved? i had problems with my parents old linksys router, my nic was blamed since all of the older 10/100 nics on older pc's worked fine with the router until they built a new nforce 4 asus system with the same nvidia nic and it too had problems with the router... switched to a dlink di-604, no problems since