Testing connector with DMM

General Septem

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That's confusing, the two images are wired oppositely as well. What side are the yellow wires supposed to be on? :confused:

The diagram(GFX card) on the right side has a tab on the connector.

the diagram (PSU connnector)on the right has the part that snaps on to the graphics card connector. Mentally connect them and look at the polarities (+ & -) put them together and you have a surge of current,smoke and a fried GFX card. The way connectors are designed is that +(yellow/12v) connects to a plus on the other connector and likewise for -(black/ground).

I just got information from OCZ. The left connector should have all the black wires on the opposite side and the same with the yellow ones. It makes sense for a power supply. I will redo the diagram that I found it on the web. I asked OCZ about it for clarification.

The diagram(GFX card) on the right side has a tab on the connector.

the diagram (PSU connnector)on the right has the part that snaps on to the graphics card connector. Mentally connect them and look at the polarities (+ & -) put them together and you have a surge of current,smoke and a fried GFX card. The way connectors are designed is that +(yellow/12v) connects to a plus on the other connector and likewise for -(black/ground). Is it now less confusing?

No, I'm still confused. Why did you show me the pic, is that an example of a plug wired the wrong way? Because that's how mine is, the ground is on the side with the tab. And if that's the case it would explain it.

Now should I verify this with a DMM? And if so, should I do it with the system on or should I unplug everything except a drive or two and just jumper the ATX plug?

No, I'm still confused. Why did you show me the pic, is that an example of a plug wired the wrong way? Because that's how mine is, the ground is on the side with the tab. And if that's the case it would explain it.

Now should I verify this with a DMM? And if so, should I do it with the system on or should I unplug everything except a drive or two and just jumper the ATX plug?

If your PSU PCI-eXpress PSU connector is wired that way then it is faulty. RMA it. Take another look at the diagrams. The connectors in the diagrams are now as they should be. If yours is wired incorrectly there should be no problem getting an RMA on it. :)

That is odd, I'll be home in 30 minutes and I'll check mine for consistency...

The diagram was wrong. I found it on the web. I asked OCZ to verify the diagram and was told that it was backwards. I corrected the diagram and posted it.

The diagram was wrong. I found it on the web. I asked OCZ to verify the diagram and was told that it was backwards. I corrected the diagram and posted it.

Which diagram was wrong?

If my PSU was wired wrong, can't I just rewire it? I don't want to pay shipping to get it replaced, plus I've had it for almost a year.

They're both correct now. ;)

The plug on your PSU should have all black wires on the side of the connector with the clip.

Ohh. It would appear to be wired correctly then. So I wonder what the problem is.

So back to the DMM idea. Can someone please tell me, should I leave the system on or shut it down and just jumper the ATX plug?

Ohh. It would appear to be wired correctly then. So I wonder what the problem is.

So back to the DMM idea. Can someone please tell me, should I leave the system on or shut it down and just jumper the ATX plug?

No, you don't want to jumper the ATX, as I imagine you probably want to test it under load.

What I do is just stick the probes into a Molex, can't check the 3.3v line, but the 12v is most important anyways. I'll just put them in there while its on....not sure if that the safest/right way to do it, but meh. Red+Black = 5v and Yellow+Black = 12v, if I remember correctly.

I'm sure there's guides on how to correctly do it if you Google it...

Not sure if that answers your question or not...

No, you don't want to jumper the ATX, as I imagine you probably want to test it under load.

What I do is just stick the probes into a Molex, can't check the 3.3v line, but the 12v is most important anyways. I'll just put them in there while its on....not sure if that the safest/right way to do it, but meh. Red+Black = 5v and Yellow+Black = 12v, if I remember correctly.

I'm sure there's guides on how to correctly do it if you Google it...

Not sure if that answers your question or not...

Yes, I actually did see a site with a tutorial on how to probe with a DMM somewhere. But after what that connector might have done to my video card, do you think it's safe to stick a DMM in there?

Yes, I actually did see a site with a tutorial on how to probe with a DMM somewhere. But after what that connector might have done to my video card, do you think it's safe to stick a DMM in there?

Good point...

I would, but I'm dumb. :tooth: