Sign in to follow this  
elessar777

Best S939 CPU Cooler (Air)

I'm looking for some advice and recommendations on what is the best socket 939 CPU Hsink/Fan. I.e. The one(s) which perform the best thus allowing better overclocking headroom.

I have been scouring reviews but nothing beats personal experience.

I will be running a dual core Opteron 165 (on it's way this week) and currently have an Arctic Cooling Freezer64 Pro but would like to get something a bit more powerful.

Obivously a few recommendations would be good:- ie three or more CPU coolers going from dearest to slightly less dear (expensive) so as to have a little choice, but ultimately I can't find any convincing proof of THE absolute bestest CPU air cooling solution for an S939. Many reviews mention the Zalman Fatal1ty. Noise could be an issue but for now I'd like to concentrate on the one which does the best job of cooling the CPU

So come on you gurus, tell me your opinions please!! :P

Zalman CNPS9500 or Thermaltake Big Typhoon. I'm biased to the Tt, cause I have one. I just replaced the fan that came on it with an Antec 2000 rpm fan. My two cents :angel:

Just been checking out the Zalman CNPS9700 but can't find any info on whether it will fit on my SLi-DR eXpert. Might post / search elswhere in forums on this

elessar777

I have a Zalman CNPS9700 on my SLi-DR Expert. No problem. Excellent cooler. I haven't got around to proper overclocking yet but my x2 4400+ idles around 23-25C and never goes above 32C while playing games.

elessar777

I have a Zalman CNPS9700 on my SLi-DR Expert. No problem. Excellent cooler. I haven't got around to proper overclocking yet but my x2 4400+ idles around 23-25C and never goes above 32C while playing games.

That's good to know.

So it doesn't interfere or touch any capacitors/transistors that may be near by?

Just curious but which way do you have it orientated? My Freezer64 Pro is facing back ie the fan blows towards the back of the case.

Also, this may or may not be relevant but I have an 8800GTX (yay me) and it's pretty huge as you may know, I just hope it doesnt cause any problems in regards to space.

Cheers

I'm also curious what is the best aircooler that uses the bolt-through retention for K8. Been looking at the Tuniq Tower but it's always OOS. Is the BT (non-VX) the best "bolt-er" ?

I would say it would be the Tuniq Tower, reason for this well the people over on XS reccomend this as the best HSF CPU cooler, I got a TTBT for the moment before i get my watercooling up and running, its not a bad cooler too.

It doesn't come remotely close to any capacitors/transistors. The fan is facing towards the front of the case so the air is flowing backwards directly at the exhaust fan. It has the added benefit of giving a nice air flow accross your ram too.

I have some issues regarding controlling the speed of the fan. I have it connected directly onto the cpu fan header. When I turn on the machine the

fan revs up all the way and then comes to a stop. It takes a little while before it comes back on (presumably when the CPU heats up sufficiently. I think this has something to do with a thermal throttling option on the board.

I want the fan to turn at a constant rate but have had no success in controlling this with BIOS settings

I have bought a 3pin to 4 pin adapter with an rpm sensor that I am going to install and use the fanmate included with the CNPS9700 to keep the revs constant.

I will say that if you were to run the fan at it's max revs it makes one hell of a howl.

Oh, I have a 7950 gx2 which is fairly huge and it doesn't come close to the coolers fins either. I'd say you'll be OK with the 8800GTX.