Sign in to follow this  
xsnv

bh.5 that doesn't like volts !! pls help me get my ram stable on my mo

Hey guys, need your help again :(

I never did mange to sort out my boot issues. Gave up in the end and will get a raptor to install my os on.

I'm having a really hard time getting my 1GB OCZ 3200 EL BH.5 kit stable on my DR. The funny thing is it doesn't seem to like voltage!

I currently have it at 250Mhz on a 166 divider with my 146 at 3Ghz. Timmings are: 1T, 2. 2. 5. 2. 7. 12. 2. 2. 1. 2.

(twcl) auto.

interleave-enabled.

skew control - auto.

skew value - 0.

drive strength - 8

dram data strenght - 3

max async lat - 7

responsed time - normal

preamble time - 5

cycle limie - 256

dyn counter - enabled

queue bypass - 16

bypass max - 7

32byte... - disabled (4 bursts)

The problem is at 3.3v I start getting errors on test 7 of memtest. If i increase the voltage any further, say to 3.5, I start getting errors straight away in test 2, 3 etc !!! I thought incresing volts helped bh.5 !!

I really doubt it's heat as i've got a 120mm fan blowing directly over them.

I suspect i'ts a particular timming or setting i've missed that causing the problems but I don't know which

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

I'm having a really hard time getting my 1GB OCZ 3200 EL BH.5 kit stable on my DR. The funny thing is it doesn't seem to like voltage!
What is the specific model number of this kit?

What is the specific model number of this kit?

Thanks for the speedy reply. It's

OCZ4001024DCGE-K

as reported in cpu-z.

Hello,

Heat can be a problem at that voltage.

You must have some form of active cooling on the memory.

BH-5 may need upto 3.5v.

have a look at happy_games settings

http://www.dfi-street.com/forum/showthread.php?t=40178

I'm trying those now. I really doubt it's heat as i just checked now and the modules aren't even warm. The 120mm fan is right above them and is on full whack.

Please help!

EDIT: Those didn't work for me either :( 30 errors and counting in test 7)

Same exact thing. I checked to make sure it wasn't the fsb that was the problem. Even at 250mhz 1:1 i'd get errors. If i repeat all tests at 1:1 I get the same behaviour.

To be honest I expected the erros so i increased the voltage 0.5v at a time but what was funny was the error frequency and rate increased with voltage above 3.2v ;(

I have the ldt multi at 3X, cpu voltage 1.425v and the cpu multi is 4.

Thanks again for the help. I would really like to get to bottom of this.

HE 440w PSU

What are the specs of this psu ?

You should be running at least a 480w psu.. especially when you start using high vdimm..

Perhaps it needs more drive strength, my KHX3000 BH-5 (2-2-2-5 at 2.62v, haven't visually confirmed by HS removal though :P) is very sensitive to DS. It needed a setting of 10 to do 245 and 12 at 250. Just food for thought, hope that helps :) Also my BH-5 sticks like a tREF of 4708, 3120, 3684, or 1560. Try MAL 8, dyn. ctr. disable, and ICL 16-64.

Perhaps it needs more drive strength, my KHX3000 BH-5 (2-2-2-5 at 2.62v, haven't visually confirmed by HS removal though :P) is very sensitive to DS. It needed a setting of 10 to do 245 and 12 at 250. Just food for thought, hope that helps :) Also my BH-5 sticks like a tREF of 4708, 3120, 3684, or 1560. Try MAL 8, dyn. ctr. disable, and ICL 16-64.

Thanks for the help. Will try those Trefs now. What do MAL, dyn, ctr and icl mean? Havn't seen them in my bios. I'm using the max drive strength already (8).

Will try again.

Thanks

Shoot, my memory was foggy on the max DS for the SLI/Ultra-D :tooth: I know Winbond chips traditionally like the even numbers and Micron/Samsung/Infineons like the odd numbers, but you could try 7 or 5 just to see how it works. Also try the other colored memory slots. Some boards just work best when either the orange or yellow slots are used with Winbond chips. MAL = Max Async Latency which is an interesting option that on my setup comes into required tweaking around the upper 280's to have at 8ns. Strangely if I use a divider to keep the mem around 200MHz while at those HTT's, there aren't any stability issues at 7ns, just when the memory is up above 216 at that HTT. Dyn. ctr. = Dynamic Counter, this one is also a head scratcher, some systems/memory prefer it disabled, others enabled. ICL = Idle Clock Limit which I believe at lower numbers means slightly more power consumption and possible stability issues, but a bit better performance and Winbond chips prefer these lower numbers.