Sign in to follow this  
XPTB

Something new to me

Let me see if I can break this down.

I just got my first DFI motherboard. I am a fan of overclocking and my old chaintech would only let me overclock a little. I decided on the UT NF4 Ultra D.

my setup:

Opteron 165

DFI UT NF4 Ultra D

e-VGA 7900GT

RAID 0 - 2 x Western Digital 160 gb

Mushkin 1 gig PC3700

550w PSU

Ok, excuse the long post but I'm going to try and include everything I have tried.

The RAID was already setup on my old motherboard, So I didn't redo it in the Nvidia RAID Utility since this board recognized it. I installed windows on the RAID with no problems. Once in windows I installed all the latest drivers from DFI and at a buddies recommendation, updated the bios to the 3/29/06 date. (not sure of the number).

After this I was ready to go. Cranked up a game to heat it up and stress test it a little before the overclocking began. The game (which ran fine on the old setup) kept locking up and causing one of my monitors (dual setup) to go plaid. Then I would get a BSoD with the NV4_DISP.DLL as the culprit. I reinstalled my graphics drivers to an earlier version, one that I knew worked on the old rig.

This seemed to fix it for a bit. Until I played that game for awhile longer. Started getting this BSoD again. My buddy said he was just using the 6/23/05 version, so I flashed back to that. I didn't even realize until it was too late that since the newer bios updated the RAID ROM, that when I flashed back to an older RAID ROM, apparently made it eat my RAID setup. Reinstallation of windows again.

This time I decided to install the drivers from the CD, everything went smooth, rebooted and DISK BOOT ERROR.... I noticed that the chipset drivers installed something for RAID so I just did a FIXMBR and that let me boot into windows. I proceeded to install my graphics card driver and rebooted. DISK BOOT ERROR. The FIXMBR trick wouldn't work this time.

I got fed up and deleted my RAID array and recreated it using this motherboards utility.

That's my story, I hope you guys made it through ok.

Couple of other problems:

1. Sometimes it won't boot up. It will just sit there at POST and not doing anything at all. Click the reset button and off we go...

2. Couldn't get it to read 2 differently floppy drives all the time, i would have to reboot and try again to get it to install my RAID drivers so I could install windows.

I have to say, this is THE pickiest board I've ever tried to install. I want to like DFI as everyone says they are the most stable. Any ideas what could be causing this?

Guest erico

How about being more specific in your SIG.

What specific PSU do you have?

What specific DDRAM sticks do you have and are they identical?

What specific DDRAM timimngs do you have set in the GENIE BIOS?

Have you run Memtest ( run test 5 and test 8 for @ an hour each for a start) and Prime95 successfully to achieve stable settings?

Do some legwork yourself. Do a search to see if anyone in the forum has your board with your CPU and your DDRAM sticks and how they successfully set up the configuration for prime stable operation.

:)

Did you follow the build guide shown here as a sticky when you put together the new machine - from your post i'm guessing no? Firstly, you should be MemTest stable before you even attempt to boot into the OS. Raid arrays are particularly vulnerable to BSOD corruption, so even one crash can end up with you needing to rebuild either your array or your OS.

Run tests 5 & 8 for 10+ passes each, and then run all tests overnight (12+hours). If you get even one error, you might as well just stop and post back here and we'll try and get you sorted...

Welcome to the forum

1. Get a complete signature per the rules. Get the details of your rig in it. Just look at the examples and the signatures other forum members. You want help you’ll get it with a complete signature

2. My opinion is to start over. Did you follow the NF4 LanParty - initial build w/pictures linkage.

Are All four (4) power connectors should be plugged into the motherboard? These are;

24-pin main power connector

4-pin 12v secondary connector or EPS

4-pin 5v/12v molex connection or HDD-type

4-pin 5v/12v floppy connection or FDD-type

3. Test your memory by enabling memtest in the BIOS and test #5 and #8 for 15-20 passes each. Then do all tests for 20 passes. Test the memory in the orange slots.

4. Do a fresh OS install, from what I have read you’re just going to be plagued with problems.

5. Use this NF4 raid setup guide… it may help.

2. Couldn't get it to read 2 differently floppy drives all the time, i would have to reboot and try again to get it to install my RAID drivers so I could install windows.
Flip the floppy cable around. Align the #1 pin cable marked usually by red.

I have to say, this is THE pickiest board I've ever tried to install. I want to like DFI as everyone says they are the most stable. Any ideas what could be causing this?
Not really. You really just need to follow a specific order in assembly and use good components. DFI motherboards where designed from the ground up to overclock. Good quality components are a key factor in the overall performance of these rigs. Quality RAM and PSU’s will make a world of difference in the stability and overclocking ability of the DFI rig. Even if you are not overclocking the board, because of this design quality components are always preferred.

The other thing is moving a system RAID array and OS from one system board to another is next to imposable to do cleanly.

May I also suggest reading; The Definitive DFI AMD Overclocking Guide even if you’re not planning to overclocking. It is filled with all kinds of info about your BIOS settings. Understanding those settings will take you a lot farther with your rig.

Searching the Stock Speed Database (SSDB) and Overclocking Database (OCDB). See what others use for memory timings.

This is a great Opteron support thread. Socket 939 - Unofficial Opteron 939.

Guest erico

The HAL is what Windows creates every time you do a clean install. The HAL is specific to your motherboard. You caused your own problem. It was just dumb luck that your system started up at all when you transferred the RAID array to your new system. The next time you do a build and have an array already set up don't bother trying to repeat the slick transfer move again and crying about it when it goes wrong:rolleyes:. It will save you plenty of grief as the OS on the array knows where everything is on the motherboard in terms of busses, devices. If you do what you did...well, you confuse the OS, as you now know very well. The preceding is what TASR was referring to without getting into the hairy (for most people) specifics of how hardware and operating systems are integrated through the a standard computer system model.

And it sure would have been nice if you had bothered to say what other PCI cards you have plugged into your MOBO. And the memory sticks. How many times have you been asked the simple questions??

You aren't going to like this but...

Posing a question without specific and detailed information to a group of people has them just making educated, but sometimes only shots in the dark, guesses. You can prevent that by following the rules that you agreed to when you joined this forum. The way you have done this drives tech support people a bit bonkers(Brit slang for freeking nuts!) (see Happy/Angry_Games Signature on standard tech support answer).

No complete signature then you are on your own !!!