dual processor platform

Cuttlefish1212

I don't understand...how could two 3.0GHz processors become the bottleneck? Please explain.

I'd guess it has something to do with moving the info between the two cpu's and such things.

While your looking at more server stuff, you should look into the 4x4 platform AMD should be releasing soon. I don't think it needs ECC memory and will have boards that are made by normal vendors which I'm sure will be much more Overclockable than a server board.

I'd guess it has something to do with moving the info between the two cpu's and such things.

While your looking at more server stuff, you should look into the 4x4 platform AMD should be releasing soon. I don't think it needs ECC memory and will have boards that are made by normal vendors which I'm sure will be much more Overclockable than a server board.

Yeah, that was the only thing I could think of...if they are slow to communicate then it could drag everything down. I need to do more research and see if that has been documented.

That is the downfall of these server boards....no bells and whistles. Asus and Gigabyte both make dual-socket boards....but they're for Intel and AM2 :sad:

I read a couple of reviews regarding a dual processor system and while it performs similar to a dual core, ECC memory eventually slows the system down. Also, in benchmarks it appears that a fast dual-core system can produce the same performance results as a dual-processor platform...without the ECC overhead. Hmmm...may need to revise my plans a bit.

I threw together an AM2 platform with an FX-62, DFI mobo, and 2x1GB Corsair DDR2 800 DIMMs. It's only about $1200 for the whole package. However, some reviews have stated that AM2 offers only a marginal performance increase over the 939 platform. Anyone used AM2 that can share their experience?