dual processor platform

Cuttlefish1212

I want to go all out and build a dual processor system. I haven't built anything like this before and I don't know much about two of the components I'll be using.

Here are the system specs:

CHENMING CMUI-601AEB-W Black 1.0mm SECC Server Computer Case

SUPERMICRO H8DCE-O Dual Socket 940 NVIDIA nForce4 Professional 2200 Extended ATX Server Motherboard

AMD Opteron 256 Troy 3.0GHz Socket 940 Processor Model OSA256BLBOX

Kingston 1GB (2 x 512MB) 184-Pin DDR SDRAM DDR 400 (PC 3200) ECC Registered Dual Channel Kit Server Memory Model KVR400S4R3AK2/1G

eVGA 768-P2-N831-AR GeForce 8800GTX 768MB GDDR3 PCI Express x16 HDCP Video Card

NEC Display Solutions FP2141SB-BK Black 22" CRT Monitor 2 × D-Sub

ARCTIC COOLING AF8025 80mm Case Fan - Retail

I plan to get 2 Opty 256, 4 Kingston 1GB kits, and 5 of the case fans. I wanted 2x1GB memory kits, but none are available...none from a reputable brand anyway.

I am not very familiar with the SuperMicro mobo or the Chenming case. Anyone here use these items before and if so what are your thoughts/experiences?

Check out 2cpu.com if you haven't already, if you're really interested in doing this they have a lot of information to dig through.

If you're really only wanting to build an extreme gaming machine though, I feel you should just spend the cash on a C2D, or even a C2Q, as it would work much better in the long run.

That said, if you are going for a server, (or just want to do it this way, which is fine too :)) I'd stick with Tyan as a motherboard maker. Be sure to do all the research for drivers and whatnot before you get too far into it.

Yes, it is an extreme gaming machine :)

I wanted to go with Tyan, but none of their boards had the specs I wanted. With that said, this board is SLI capable, but I'm sure the BIOS is stripped down for server use. Doubtful there are any goodies like DFI...probably more like Gigabyte. However, I don't want to go SLI so I thought this might work.

As far as C2D...I'm an AMD fanboy...no Intel for me please :P

I'm definitely going to research the pants off of this...it's going to be a $3500 expenditure so I want to get it right the first time around. I'll see if there is a Tyan board with the specs I want (1000MHz bus, PCI-e, and Nvidia chipset) in the meantime. Hope to have this badboy together by late February.

Why do this you ask?? Cause I want the meanest, greenest, gaming puter on the planet...within my budget anyway :P

It would be a sweet rig. However, a quad core intel system will be faster, cost less and be waaaaay more overclockable (thats a MUST in my books, but whatever floats your boat). Just my 2 cents. By that time there should be a REALLY SWEET(as in Lanparty sweet) DFI board out for Kentsfield....

I hope it turns out as well as I believe...what's killing me is the cost of memory or the lack of 2GB kits. I'm gonna get the processors, mobo, and case first and leave the memory and video card last. Hopefully by that time the prices will have come down and they will have worked out the bugs on the 8800GTX...hopefully.

I hope it turns out as well as I believe...what's killing me is the cost of memory or the lack of 2GB kits. I'm gonna get the processors, mobo, and case first and leave the memory and video card last. Hopefully by that time the prices will have come down and they will have worked out the bugs on the 8800GTX...hopefully.

Yeah ECC isn't particularly cheap...or available for that matter.

I'd really look into finding some gaming benchmarks on a similar rig, you might not be able to find one with an 8800 series card, but someone has gotta have something similar on the 7800/7900 cards (or Ati equivalent). I'm guessing that the limited speed on the processors might end up bottlenecking pretty early on, and an overclocked X2/dual core opteron might just work better.

But anyways, good luck. I researched this over a year ago (before I decided DFI was the way to go) and came to these conclusions then....lotta changes have been made though so who knows. :)