Help me PUSH IT to 2.8 ghz

MD1078

Hi everyone,

I'm very new to the overclocking world, although I've had my DFI board and AMD 64 3700 for almost a year now. I'd like to push my machine to get more out of it, but everytime i try different FSB settings, I get the BSOD.

Here is my exact set up:

Mainboard : DFI Corp,LTD LP NF3 250GB

Chipset : nVidia nForce3 250

Processor : AMD Athlon 64 3700+ @ 2400 MHz

Physical Memory : 1536 MB (3 x 512 DDR-SDRAM ) 3 Corsair

Video Card : ATI Technologies Inc Radeon X800 Series

Memory is:

Manufacturer : Corsair

Part Number : CMX512-3200C2

Serial Number : Unspecified

Type : DDR-SDRAM PC3200 (200 MHz) - [DDR-400]

All voltages set to auto.

Running in Windows XP SP2

Does anyone have a similar system that they've gotten alot out of? I have the stock CPU Fan and Heat Sink and an Antec P160 Case (2 chasis fans).

Thanks in advance.

1st of all...

Welcome to the Street...

2nd... create a sig as per rules....(you agreed to do so)

3rd.... look in the OCDB for a system or systems close to yours and see what they get...2.8 seems the limit for a 3700 but you'll have to give it more juice than Auto....;)

Well as bowtie said, you really need to create a sig first so we know exactly what you are working with.

If you are getting bsod at just a few mhz over stock then you will likely need to up you vcore. The best way to learn about overclocking is to read, memorize and read again the "Guide to overclocking". You can find the link to it under my sig. Give it a thorough reading and then come back at it empowered with some great knowledge and how to. (READ BEFORE YOU TRY CHANGING ANY VCORE SETTINGS!!) I'll stop yelling now but that board, as with all Lan Party boards, has some very serious power behind it and if you don't know what you are doing you'll fry that cpu before you even start.

Keep us updated though, and ask away with any questions you have.

Welcome to the Street!

find out what exact cpu you have from cpuz or cbid and compare it to rigs on the OCDB, keeping in mind that no rig or component will give you identical results.i used to roll with stock cooling while overclocking my cpu.After you spend the 60 bucks on decent cooling you will never look back.im using the Thermaltake Big typhoon bolt down version. its has been great for me.there is tons on info in this forum so be patient, use serach and read.i just picked up a sempron 64 2800+(49.99cdn) and booted it @ 2.8.i just bought it to play with and im having fun so far.highley recommended btw.later tonight the ihs is commin off and ill try to get her stable.

If the CPU is a Clawhammer (Either C0 or CG) I say good luck. Those processors are probably the most difficult out of any other A64 processor to push much past 2.6GHz.

Hell, I think the World Record clock (suicide screeny) with a Clawhammer was just barely over 3.0GHz. And that was with LN2 Cooling.

If you happen to get a stable overclock in the range that you're looking for, It would be highly commendable.

Sorry, I don't mean to sound like a stick in the mudd, but you'll have your work cut out for you to get that speed.

If it's a Newark 3700+ however, 2.8 Shouldn't be too difficult to achieve.

Welcome to the street MD1078,

I wish you the best of luck in reaching your goal.

We will be in a better position to assist with your OC quest once you are familiar with the overclocking guide and have some of the app's to ID the cpu stepping/revision etc.

Learning about the BIOS settings and having a solid working understanding of the OC guide would be my start point.

What temp's is your system running at stock (I use smartguardian to monitor) - this will inform you how far you can OC on stock cooling.

I recommend the thermalright SI-120 with good case ventilation, lets my 'clawhammer' ("CG" stepping) see 2565MHz that's about the max I can get from my 2800+.

Maybe you will fare better with your processor - just don't be too disappointed if it doesn't OC too well.

Once again, welcome and good luck.

I pretty much have your system, Ive only gotten 2.7Ghz out of my Clawhammer with CG stepping at 1.65v. I had a different BIOS and while trying to get 2.7Ghz I had to use 1.7v. so a BIOS can make alot of difference.

Mine might go higher but not with air cooling IMO.

Having 3 x 512mb sticks might make it harder for you. has your BIOS set your CPC enabled or disabled (1T or 2T)? You might get a better overclock with just 2, thats just a guess as I wouldnt use 3 sticks myself.

Just keep your temps around or just over 50C at full load. Download "OCCT" (google it) as that gives your CPU a quick 30min stress test and reports back temps and voltage drain when at full load.

In the "AMD overclocking" section there are some really good points to help you get started. If you can take off your heatsink and check what stepping your CPU is before you start and maybe applying some good thermal paste (Arctic silver 5) before overclocking. As the above posts state having a CG rather than a CO will greatly increase your chance of a decent overclock.

Its a long process if you want to be stable at the end of it, but it will pay of as Matrix above did with a 2800, respect to that OC

I have run that ram at 3.2v (with errors) 3.0v is better ,But you have got to have a fan blowing on the ram causre it's going to get hot (I have 2 120mm fans ,one under the other on mine (silent as can be ) Get use to changing the DRAM settings and CPU voltage (and read ,read and read more)

These are the DRAM settings I use for overclock trial and error's (if you don't no what they mean ,then you need to educate yourself with your board,auto setting's are never going to get you were you want to be .

DRAM settings in order :

enable

AUTO

ENABLED

AUTO

LEVEL 8

AUTO

AUTO

DISABLE

16x

07x

DISABLE

I would start with genie bios at 225 ,past 230 I would start to have errors.

8.0 (to start with multiplier)

100mhz

DISABLE

1.500v to start then up it ,

then adjust % voltage with first one ,I would not go above 123% unless dynamic is set lower than default.

also dynamic voltage can be set at lower ,like 1.4v and % voltage set to .

give you a value higer than 1.500v .

@vertol. I noticed your running your LDT at 4.0 maybe if you dropped to 3.0 instead of 4.0 you might get a little more out of it. It means your running it at 1800 HTT for a 1600 HTT mobo, going over that much might prove unstable. 225 x4=900 x2 =1800.

The 100Mhz is that your AGP? there is absolutely no need to overclock the AGP bus bro it makes very little to no difference at all, better of overclocking the core and mem of your card with an overclocking utility for better results, maybe a 0.1v extra for stability sake.

Use SATA ports 3+4 for your OS as they are locked, ports 1+2 will give errors around 230-240 FSB.

For MD1078 using 1.5v + 123% is 1.845v and would surely damage his CPU without seriously good cooling ie water cooling. He is on his stock heatsink and fan so he cant pump too much juice into it right away or he'll kill it.

BTW don't chew me a new one , only tryin to help ya :)