Sign in to follow this  
CharmedLover84

FX-60 + 8800GTX - For those that want to see it!

Alright guys, I may not be a moderator, but this arguement will stop now, or be taken to another thread, or I will redirect it to someone that WILL take care of it. This thread is not for arguements, or arguements about conroes, it's for stats of FX-60/8800GTX combos so people can see before they buy.

Take it to another thread please.

Your right and it's stopped. BTW I am a mod here lol.

Viper

One thing I do like about this forum is that a disagreement with a mod =/= insta-ban like seemingly EVERY other one. coughOVERCLOCK.NETcough

Viper, I'm considering an 8800gtx for my rig. Also considering using it in the 2nd peg slot at x8 so I don't have to remove everything from my case just to switch to the nexxos low profile block. The 7900gt I have now just barely makes it in the first slot. How much of a difference if any did you see in gaming?

Charmed, what res and settings do you play Oblivion at with your card? I'm currently playing at 1280x1024, but looks like I should be able to game at 1600x1200 with max settings in game and even some aa and af turned on with an 8800gtx.

Viper, I'm considering an 8800gtx for my rig. Also considering using it in the 2nd peg slot at x8 so I don't have to remove everything from my case just to switch to the nexxos low profile block. The 7900gt I have now just barely makes it in the first slot. How much of a difference if any did you see in gaming?

Charmed, what res and settings do you play Oblivion at with your card? I'm currently playing at 1280x1024, but looks like I should be able to game at 1600x1200 with max settings in game and even some aa and af turned on with an 8800gtx.

My setup is quite similar to what you have, and I moved up to the 8800gtx. Performance gain is huge. I'm only at 1280x1024 and we all know even 7900gt's cant handle Oblivion maxed properly. Now its flawless maxed with HDR, and 16 x AA/AF. The worst I see is the odd min frame rate 55.

Upgrading to an 8800 on an AMD platform is a MUCH better alternative than upgrading to C2D and keeping the older cards... IMO... for gaming at least. :rolleyes:

I ran the 8800GTX with both 8 and 16 lanes with a 3Ghz FX60 and the only difference I saw was the margin of error in the benchmark scores.

Just remember if you put the 8800 in the lower PCIe slot to configure the MB for SLI operation. If you leave it configured for single card then you will only have 2 PCIe lanes working on the lower 16X slot and the card will crawl!

Viper

My setup is quite similar to what you have, and I moved up to the 8800gtx. Performance gain is huge. I'm only at 1280x1024 and we all know even 7900gt's cant handle Oblivion maxed properly. Now its flawless maxed with HDR, and 16 x AA/AF. The worst I see is the odd min frame rate 55.

Upgrading to an 8800 on an AMD platform is a MUCH better alternative than upgrading to C2D and keeping the older cards... IMO... for gaming at least. :rolleyes:

zara, you think you could do a favor for me? Could you try turning on sli in the bios and running a few quick benches with the card at x8 to see if there's any difference or not? That would be immensely helpful to me! :O

and you still run it at 1280x1024 maxed right? I'm guessing that's the limitation of your monitior?

Now stick that 8800 into a 3.87Mhz C2D and you will think you upgraded the GFX card again lol.

Viper

Guest element

So where to for those of us on single core A64? Opteron or cheap X2 and then a GTS or wait until conroes become old hat and upgrade?

I dunno, from the looks of things, AMD won't be competing with Conroe/kentsfield in the really fast desktop CPU for some time. The FX-74 got spanked by the kentsfield in all but the the server-like benches. However, the AMD scalability with rule the roost in the sense that it looks to be easy to add a 5-6th, 7-8th and more cores with the new platform. In the server market AMD looks great!