Sign in to follow this  
CharmedLover84

8800GTX Temperature Concerns

Hey guys. Just booted up with my 8800GTX, installed the drivers etc. etc. got it working and I'm sitting here doing squat, and my GPU according to Everest is at 55C. Anyone else having this problem or know of another program I could check to confirm this reading? I checked the GPU fan and it's running and all of my voltage readouts are comparable to when I had SLI of two 7900s installed.

Not sure it's a 'problem', mine's running at 49C idle on the stock (air) heatsink. This is built on my desk, with one 120mm fan essentially pointing straight 'down' at the top of the heatsink, and an 80mm fan angled so it's blowing on the back of the card. It's also around 16C in my room.

Could use AtiTool to double-check your temps.

55C is not even close to the danger zone for a GPU. In particular, you would expect that card to run about 60C idle so 55C is pretty good in my opinion.

Frozen could be bad drivers, not necessarily temperature related. Newegg buyers have been complaining about driver issues since this thing came out. eVGA should be releasing updated driver soon...they usually stay on top of this kind of thing.

I didn't use the drivers off the disc ;) I downloaded them from NVidia.

I got a fan card under it now, lowered the temps to 45C idle, and around 55C load thus far has been the peak.

Still a lot warmer than my 7900s in SLI but meh, it performs as good as both so doubling temp is not unheard of (thinking of 5 series vs. 6 series, twice the performance with almost twice the heat LOL)

Guest DaddyD302

The 8800GTX will run hotter then any previous card. Your temps are normal for that card. Mine is around 42-50C in idle. Loaded it jumps to 70-80C. Remember, the driver you downloaded is the first official driver from Nvidia. I think the one that came with the card is a beta driver. Don't expect much from it, wait till Nvidia gets their new ones out.

Btw, first time I ran AM3 it froze as well. After reinstalling windows, it ran fine.

Anyone else try and OC theirs? I downloaded NTune since nothing else seems to work, and it dun seem to work near as efficiently as the NVTweak stuff for Coolbits did in the old control panel. I'm probably gonna uninstall it.

I found that its best to set the GPU fan to 100% all the time. Thou the noise is rather irritating. Going to invest in a better cooler me thinks.

::can't hear the noise over her vantec fan card when it's on full blast:: It's not loud, but it ain't quiet either. When I say I have high end air cooling, not an exaggeration ;) Each of the fans in my case, along with the one outside of it (the HVB) are capable of being quiet loud. LOL

The 8800 series of cards do run hot. EVGA says under 100C and you are fine. Your issues are probably not caused by heat... maybe. Try remounting your heatsink with a clean application of AS5. I once did a poor TIM job and my card temp sensor was reporting 80C. I was artifacting and took off my HS to find a uncovered patch. That uncovered patch was overheating and causing the errors.

Hey guys. Just booted up with my 8800GTX, installed the drivers etc. etc. got it working and I'm sitting here doing squat, and my GPU according to Everest is at 55C. Anyone else having this problem or know of another program I could check to confirm this reading? I checked the GPU fan and it's running and all of my voltage readouts are comparable to when I had SLI of two 7900s installed.

55C is normal for an 8800 in fact. Heck at 55C has even started crankin!

Viper