Sign in to follow this  
bchivers

How can I tell if it is mobo or ram?

Built a knew system for a friend and am having problems. Trouble booting two sticks of ram, unstable. I can use the OS but I can't change any settings, the ram will only boot at 200MHZ with 3-3-8-3 1T. I have been running memtest86+ v1.65 and one stick gets errors after one to two minutes. The other has run for over two hours without errors but will only boot in the two outside slots, orange or yellow. This is the system.

Just got an error after22 mins. with the good(?)one in the yellow slot.

DFI Ultra-D

Opteron 165.

Team XTreem PC4000 3-3-8-3 Micron

HIS X1950XT

WD. Raptor 150GB

OCZ GameXStream 700W

The boards are not designed to work with only one stick of ram in either of the two slots closest to the processor.

It's possible the Opty's memory controller doesn't like the RAM. Have you played with the memory divider to see if you can get different results? Also, what vDIMM are you running?

I am using 2.60 volts and I don't know how to ajust the memory divider .

T]he boards are not designed to work with only one stick of ram in either of the two slots closest to the processor

This is good to know, thanks.

If your RAM is getting errors...then it's your RAM.

not true a bad board can cause ram errors or a bad mem controller on the chip or a bad chip can as well.

I am using 2.60 volts and I don't know how to ajust the memory divider .

not true a bad board can cause ram errors or a bad mem controller on the chip or a bad chip can as well.

It's a pretty safe bet based on the above that the problem is incorrect timings.

@bchivers. Read the Overclocking Guide. The link is in my sig

It's a pretty safe bet based on the above that the problem is incorrect timings.

ram errors can be more then just ram issues of course

i agree i was just stating the fact so ppl wernt miss informed. ram errors can be more then just ram issues of course ;)

I am not trying to OC, I just want to find out what I need to do to find out if it is the ram or mobo so I can get the problem taken care of. I have read the guides here and on other forums and I don't understand them and like I say I am not trying to OC.

:confused: seems funny that you have an Overclocking motherboard and your trying to set one up for your friend but you don't know anything about overclocking????

What Praz said about reading the Overclocking guide was on the money as it tells you all the memory settings and what they do, your problem would appear to be memory timings/settings or to be more specific the timings are not configured correctly for your memory.........

That type of memory i see nothing in the stock speed data base thats gonna help you and there is not even anything in the OCDB...

SO i had a google further afield and led me to this....

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=100767

or this

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showth...ighlight=micron

Maybe there is some settings there you could try......

One other thing if you put a single stick in the orange slot and run memtest, do you get errors on that stick ie one stick runs clear, remove it, put in other stick and run and it errors, if this is the case then you might have a dud stick and RMA time would be in order.

Logan

What Praz said about reading the Overclocking guide was on the money as it tells you all the memory settings and what they do, your problem would appear to be memory timings/settings or to be more specific the timings are not configured correctly for your memory.........

Right on.