In despair

Well - it's 8pm.

During this OS session, I had prime instances running on both cores.

On Core A0, prime first failed after 9 minutes. I started it again after about 15 or 20 minutes. It the ran for a further 4 hours and 32 minutes before failing again with another .5 rounding error. The prime instance on A1 ran throughout (5 hours and 2 minutes) without any errors.

Cheers

Paul.

RgOne / Happy Games .... I'm going to try and RMA this through Wendell (DFI Holland) next week. Any thoughts you have would be much appreciated.

Corsair ... and myself are fairly convinced this has to be motherboard related now --- after all the testing that's been done (new CPU, new GFX, rebuilt OS, mprime errors when booting off tmods cd - i.e. no installed OS at all, all peripherals removed inc all firewire and USB headers removed).

I'd really appreciate your wisdom here. If there is anything further you can think I can test to prove it's the memory or PSU (the only other things it could be) I'd be very eager to try them. If you believe the odds are from the testing it's the mb then I'll go down that route.

Cheers

Paul.

I strongly feel that it is the memory.

The cpu has the memory controller.

You have tried 2 CPUs with the same result.

Test the memory in another pc or do you know anyone with a DFI nf4 board?

Or can you borrow some memory?

• 3 weeks later...

Hi guys

I feel for anyone going through this. I've got huge experience with electronics and PC building like many here but it becomes almost impossible to determine the cause of issues like this without spares of everything.

This is pretty much what I ended up having to do because DFI kept pointing at memory, gfx and PSU. Corsair kept saying - if it memtests it isn't memory.

This makes the whole PC build experience very frustrating if you hit problems (which many do). Vendors shipping high end gear should provide simple and free or near free service to confirm their products fitness .... a couple of good (and surprising examples) are given below.

Interestingly Asus in the UK were superb. They took my card back and sent it off to their repair centre. Interestingly they identified an issue with old BIOS and have updated it. I had decided it was the problem after all ... but it's nice to know they have found some problem and repaired it.

CoolerMaster (Enermax) were by far and away the best though. They listened to the checks I made and said they would replace it with a NoiseTaker II.

In the interim I had got a new Asus A8N SLI-Deluxe, new Asus EAX1950 Pro, new OCZ 2GB 500 EL memory, new FX-60, new Lian-Li PC-7 SE-B II case (high speed blowhole in top, 120mm intake on side, 120mm intake on front, 120mm exhaust on back), new OCZ 700W GamerXtream.

Eventually this showed the memory was the cause and Corsair eventually accepted it and RMA'd it. I am now building a second machine with all the spare kit !

Corsair didn't have any more 4400 or any equivalent so they agreed to refund the original purchase price of the memory. I will hopefully get the cheque in the next few days.

The DFI now has the OCZ mem, PSU, FX-60, new cooler case, EAX1950pro gfx.

Temps are idle are all in the high 30s. With dual prime torture test (790 mb per core) CPU is circa 57, PWM is 60-63 and chipset 38.

I've run the test for 18 hours without warning or error.

Of course ... although the memory has clearly weakened, it could still be the motherboard that was the route cause of the problem. If the same problem happens in the mid term ... I think it will be clear the motherboard is killing the RAM.

In the interim ... fingers crossed ...

In your case ... talk to Melissa Duffy at Corsair support in the US. Say that since they cannot replace the memory with an equivalent anymore that you want a refund. Send it back. Buy some new OCZ from somewhere before stock runs out ... since memory prices have halved, you'll make a profit on the deal ....

and have a really happy XMAS !!

Paul.