nVidia IDE SW driver update!

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What is the advantage to using them?

The nVidia drivers are written to use lower cpu cycles. Comparing the 6.86's to the 6.66's via the HDTach program, both drivers sets are within 5% of each other speed wise, but the 6.86'3 have ~5% less cpu utilization. I don't know how that compares to the built in MS drivers, but the nVidia IDE drivers make a RAID array more easily seen by WinXP. I have used the MS drivers for a RAID 0 because I was afraid to use the nVidia drivers. With the MS drivers, one will see the combined RAID volume as a disk volume and the second HD that's part of the RAID. This HD will appear slightly grayed out in the Disk Management applet. With the nVidia drivers, only the RAID 0 volume is seen.

So there is no way to remove the "safely remove hardware" icon if you decide to use the NVIDIA drivers?

The "safely remove hardware" icon is part of the OS once it is available through the driver.

The driver doesn't "add" the icon. The OS detects the feature in the driver and offers it.

You would have to alter the OS to get rid of the icon but then you would lose that function for all removable devices like USB memory sticks and other Hot Plug items.

OK...

I got a problem with the drivers....

I installed the 6.86's off nVidia's site and loaded them to a SLI-DR/3200 venice with a Gen-1 74gig Raptor (8meg cache)

Installed the IDE driver...ran HD-Tach and all test pass but the sequential read test ran slow as crap...I average 9.1 mb/s rate....I ran it 4 times...

Then I went to the device manger and went into the IDE controller sata options and ran the test from the options....same results...disabled command queing...raised to 9.4mb/s

rolled back the drivers to the microsoft generic... rebooted and instanly saw a big jump in performance...re-ran HD-Tach and the average read jumped to 64.4mb/s and all test ran fine...and were rather fast...

Not sure whats going on but leaving the IDE driver out still....

I did some testing with HDTach on a fresh WinXP install comparing Microsoft IDE driver and nVidia 6.86 IDE driver on my Raptor 150 and Barracuda 7200.8.

The performance tests gave pretty much the same result for both drivers but the cpu utilization was almost doubled for the Raptor with nVidia drivers! CPU utilization went from 2-4% to 5-7% for 8mb test and more for 32mb test. CPU utilization for the Barracuda was almost the same.

Don't know if that small differance means anything in the real world, but still...

Anyone else who has noticed the same thing? Or is it just me doing something wrong?? :)

CPU utilization went from 2-4% to 5-7% for 8mb test and more for 32mb test. CPU utilization for the Barracuda was almost the same.

My results were exactly opposite. CPU utilization went down with the nVidia drivers.

Try running three iterations of each test with each driver and hardware setup then average the results.

Guys,i don't know what about you but for me installing Nvidia SW is hell.

After install everything seems to me normal.As soon as i don't start using the drives.Installing game,move some movie from folder to folder,then its just freezes.And nothing i can do about it only reset.I have 2 drives from WD,both 160 GB ,one is NCQ and the other is not.I don't think that that should be the problem.Although,the non-NCQ drive works perfect with or without NVidia drivers.

As soon as i rollback drivers to MS,everything stable for weeks.I gave up allready and just don't use the NVidia drivers,couldn't find what makes drives to freeze.