nVidia IDE SW driver update!

how do i know which forceware drivers i'm running?

If you installed the drivers by default settings you should find a "NVIDIA" folder in C:. Open that folder and you'll probably have a folder named according to version of windows and under that a folder named according to version of drivers you have.

I hope this help.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you installed the drivers by default settings you should find a "NVIDIA" folder in C:. Open that folder and you'll probably have a folder named according to version of windows and under that a folder named according to version of drivers you have.

I hope this help.

nope I always deleted that folder after installation.

I've been using the 6.86 drivers for a while and, for me anyway, the ActiveArmor firewall is working perfectly. In all earlier releases I was getting data corruption when the hardware offloading was switched on.

You sure you aren't getting corruption? AA still gives me issues, and I don't even bother with it anymore. Especially if you have a LAN setup, and try to stream video, you get bad results.

You sure you aren't getting corruption? AA still gives me issues, and I don't even bother with it anymore. Especially if you have a LAN setup, and try to stream video, you get bad results.

I've got it connected to an ADSL modem which is only running at 2Mb - nothing like LAN speeds. I was getting very obvious corruption on the images on web pages. The 6.86 drivers have definitely fixed this for me.

On my vnf4 Ultra I installed Nero and when it finished I waited about 10 minutes and then tried to click the shortcut, and it failed to find the file! I took a look and the whole install directory wasn't there.

It turned out it was due to the NVidia SW driver and updating it (when one came out) resolved the issue. I've been updating it since then and haven't seen an issue. Like Mack27 said - about 1.5 years with no issues.

I can confirm zero issues across multiple m/b manufacturers using the IDE SW drivers from nVidia chipset packs 6.53 through 6.86

Absolutely no problems with any hard drives, raid arrays or optical drives that I've installed.

I've noticed that if I install the NVIDIA IDE driver that I get the green icon in my taskbar for my hard drive to "safely remove hardware".

If I don't install the SW driver I don't get that icon. Anyone else notice this?

Since the nVidia drivers fully support the SATA spec, you will get that icon in the System Tray. The Microsoft drivers are not fully compliant so you don't get the icon.

SATA supports "hot-plug" so you can remove active drives just like USB devices. You can not remove the drive with the active OS partition so you don't have to worry about that.

SATA supports "hot-plug" so you can remove active drives just like USB devices. You can not remove the drive with the active OS partition so you don't have to worry about that.

lol 1st time i install that driver, i was like damn this mobo is %**&&% crazy i can remove my hard drive ... after that i understand that you cannot remove a drive that have an OS on it, neither a drive that was in raid