Sign in to follow this  
Remgame

SLI or not

One of my bro's has a NF4 DFI board with a Sparkle 7600GS 512 MB Video card.

He wants to improve his gaming experience (higher resolutions, etc..). Question is:

1) Will getting getting another 7600 GS Video card to run in SLI mode to the job. If yes, I suppose he can take any brand as long as it's a 7600GS with 512MB?

2) Is he better off changing video card and getting a 7900 or more?

Not evryone is willing to spend 1000 on video cards. Besides, my two 7800s run everything at max settings at 1600x1200

Thx for quick advice, but 2 x 8800 that's a lot of bucks. Will 2 x 7600GS give the performance boost he's looking for? He mainly plays Battlefield

Guess I should have posted in Video cards?

Nah should have posted in reccomendations, but i'm sure a mod will move it in a while. Anyway, i was just kidding around about the 8800s. Two 7600s are better than one, but i think it would be more beneficial to get a 7900GT. Not only will this keep the temps down but he will still have a free PCI-X slot for the future, or maybe another 7900GT. If your not worried about temps then it's really up to you, but i would say go with a 7900, huge step over 7600, plus I can play the battlefields just fine with only 1 gig of ram.

Thx for advice. Good to know he doesn't need to make the move to 2Gb either. Could have been difficult to go from 2x512 to 4x512 (especially to find the same RAM).

Thx for quick advice, but 2 x 8800 that's a lot of bucks. Will 2 x 7600GS give the performance boost he's looking for? He mainly plays Battlefield

2x 7600 is better than 1x

but the truth is, the best thing to do is go snag a 7900GT and in a few months the second 7900GT will be even cheaper ;)

but a 7900GT will outperform SLI 7600's

yep, 1600x1200 or higher resolution is what SLI/Crossfire was made for

it's practically useless at 1280x1024 or lower where the cpu is doing almost all of the work

My suggestion is, get a 7900-8800 series card (single card) or go with lower-end SLI, like 7600s. Personally, I'd get a 7900GT or 7950GT, they're midrange in cost and they kick the crap outta most games.

8800s, while they are awesome, are not cost effective for people that already have decent graphics (unless you're insane like me and sell your two 7900GTX XXX editions to buy a single 8800GTX, which will get me around the same performance if not better, but that ain't the point). I'd stick with 7 series unless he's willing to go all out, and SLI I wouldn't go with anything higher than a 7950GT or 7900GT, cuz otherwise it's a bigass CPU bottleneck.

And most importantly, resolution is key. If you ain't gonna run over 1280x1024, don't bother with SLI cuz the frame rate gate isn't 2-to-1 if you're at that resolution or lower. If you're goin' widescreen (1680x1050 or 1920x1200 or ::freakin' drools:: 2560x1600) then SLI is for you ;) LOL

:spam: Battlefield = EA

EA = doesn't test with SLI

Doesn't test with SLI = probably won't boost your performance much.

So, basically? Get a better single card. If that's really all he plays.

One of my bro's has a NF4 DFI board with a Sparkle 7600GS 512 MB Video card.

He wants to improve his gaming experience (higher resolutions, etc..). Question is:

1) Will getting getting another 7600 GS Video card to run in SLI mode to the job. If yes, I suppose he can take any brand as long as it's a 7600GS with 512MB?

2) Is he better off changing video card and getting a 7900 or more?

I would Ebay ur/his 7600GS and get the 7900GTO, this is a fantastic card for the money even if you don't over clock it, much faster than all 7900GT's that cost around the £200 in the UK that is, it has a better HSF than the GTs as well! and the 7900GTO can be bought for around £150 to £180 here! half the price of the 7900GTX and only 5% slower!

P.S what PSU does he have? and the full system while ur at it?

Sign in to follow this