new watercooling setup, is this good or too hot?

Thasp

Are you sure that your fan belt isn't slipping or broken? LOL. That thing is huge!:)

No it is not, for some reason I doubt this is causing my watercooling issues.

Thanks wintersfury. What confuses me is that this has similar temps to my tuniq, which I used with nail polish remover. I will try your suggestion, but I am pretty sure it's time to cut my losses and return what I can.. if this is what I can expect with 3x120mm fans @2000 RPM, and a loud pump, imagine when I actually quiet it down.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would flush the whole thing out with vinegar water and start again.

Does this mean combining the red vinegar I have with distilled water and having the pump run it through the system?

Where the hell can I get distilled water? Online is not an option because waiting for shipping each time something messes up means this doesn't get fixed until after Christmas. Supermarket, hardware store?

I also tried cleaning again and using the zalman grease this time, now I get an even 70c in orthos.. this is disgusting. That's less than 5-6c off from what I got with my tuniq with the same god damn thermal paste.

No it is not, for some reason I doubt this is causing my watercooling issues.

Thanks wintersfury. What confuses me is that this has similar temps to my tuniq, which I used with nail polish remover. I will try your suggestion, but I am pretty sure it's time to cut my losses and return what I can.. if this is what I can expect with 3x120mm fans @2000 RPM, and a loud pump, imagine when I actually quiet it down.

Your temps are way high. I installed a simple Corsair Nautilus yesterday and my temps dropped 12 degrees.

Your temps are way high. I installed a simple Corsair Nautilus yesterday and my temps dropped 12 degrees.

Wait, now we're getting somewhere! :D

Dropped 12 from what? From air cooling?

When I had the AS5 on properly, my temps dropped about 15c from air cooling. from 75-82 on the tuniq to 57-62.

Maybe they're not crazy high afterall.

When you said I should be hitting 45c, do you mean at 3 GHz apppropriate vcores, or 3.8 GHz appropriate vcores?

Maybe I'll clean the radiator and flush the system out tomorrow and see what's up. Also, do I need to buy distilled water or can I just boil tap water?

Hey Thasp, supermarkets or hardware stores should have distilled water. I suspect your block is not completely cleaned off, and dont use too much of that AS5, just a half a rice grain of it should be enough. Sitting the block itself is I think the most important factor in the process. I used the green colored liquid and also the blue ones too but did not see any temp improvements. I'd suggest using the cleaner that Arctic sells to clean off your block, if not available use a 90% alcohol, if not available use the 70% ones too, always worked for me till I got the ones from Arctic. Clean your block thoroughly and reseat it again.

Wait, now we're getting somewhere! :D

Dropped 12 from what? From air cooling? I had an Arctic Freezer Pro 64 installed

When I had the AS5 on properly, my temps dropped about 15c from air cooling. from 75-82 on the tuniq to 57-62. A drop of 15C is not bad at all

Maybe they're not crazy high afterall.

When you said I should be hitting 45c, do you mean at 3 GHz apppropriate vcores, or 3.8 GHz appropriate vcores? At lover vcore settings. lower vcore means less current and therefore less (wattage)heat generated

Maybe I'll clean the radiator and flush the system out tomorrow and see what's up. Also, do I need to buy distilled water or can I just boil tap water?

Buy distilled water --makes a difference on the longevity of you watercooling base and radiator

For 'distilled' read de-ionised (with a 'z' if necessary ;) ) Any supermarket should stock it - it's meant for use in steam irons. Boiled tap-water is no good.

Also, I suggest using Zerex (at 1 part in 20) as your water additive.

B.

damn talk about cleaning out your tubes!

I didn't actually clean my tubes this time around just changed my rad and waterblock to a storm and 3x120 rad and my idle temps are about 19C and my loads at hovering at 30-32C :)

yea winter is here,.. ambient is 18C

Thasp your IHS still on that opty?

Thasp your IHS still on that opty?

thats something i was wondering, i've heard of quite a few opterons having problems with the IHS having poor thermal conductivity to the die.

but in the first post thasp mentions an e6400, so i think thasps sig needs to be updated =)

thasp: you can also get distilled water for lead acid batteries, so maybe a car dealership/spares store might be able to sort you out if you don't have any luck in your local stores.

Woah, I need to change my sig.

That opty is long gone.. sitting in the "to be sold" bin of my apartment.

I have an e6400 now. I never surpassed 44c on that opteron with air cooling even at 2.81 GHz. The e6400 on the other hand has been known to hit 81c diode with the same room temperature ad the same cooler.

Is this some of the confusion? I will update my sig soon then.

Before I do it, should I run distiled water through it to flush it out, then go back to using the coolant? Should I put red vinegar in with the distilled water and have that go through the system or would that ruin the mcp655 pump and the mp-05 waterblock?

Most coolants should be mixed with H2O. I'm currently running about 40C max load temps. I also have a D5 and it is very quiet; check your pump to make sure that is has a good flow-rate.

Your setup and loop order is correct; so it's either a bad pump, or a bad thermal connection to the CPU. Otherwise it could be a bad thermal sensor on the CPU.