Sign in to follow this  
Angry_Games

Xbox360 vs PS3 - an "insider's" perspective

Speaking of IGN Tmac.. I was watching one of their weekly videos they put out and they had a representative for each next gen console and they all agreed that Xbox360 looked better on the playable demos they had at E3. I think it was playable demos at E3 but either way they said the box looks better on screen. The videos are called "IGN weekly" and the episode shouldn't be hard to find as it should be titled appropriately I imagine. I'll be picking up a 360 myself. The PS3 does look better on paper but I have read a few articles including the one Happy Games linked that the box still performs better. They said the emotion engine for PS2 was gonna be some kind of super thumper but compared to the Xbox it was a pretty pathetic claim. As far as the media battle between HD-DVD and BluRay? Still way to early to tell and I'll probably want to buy a standalone player anyways. It'll be fun to watch PS3 try to enable an online service as established and successful as Live, especially if they make outlandish claims to begin with. It's gonna be embarrassing.

I got an Xbox360 and it truly is a nice console. Runs a little warm (6 cores @ 3.2Ghz tend to do that along with the ATI gpu), and hte dvd drive is a little noisy when it's running, but we have the sound cranked up when we play or I have headphones on so I never pay much attention to it, and Xbox Live is superior to any console online service (hate to say anything good about MS but it's true, Sony and Nintendo won't be catching up in this dept anytime soon).

I'm still a pc gamer, so I pick and choose my console vs pc gaming carefully, but I think I play more on console than I do on the pc these days. More fun to play with others in the same room or sitting in my easy chair on an online service that is more stable and reliable (playing games that are more stable and reliable than pc games) instead of 16 pc gamers with 16 different combinations of hardware on 16 different ISP's trying to connect to one server that might or might not be on a pipe big enough to handle all the traffic using 3 different voice chat programs....

nah, I turn on my 360, load the game, go on Live, play games for hours while yapping at strangers.

when we play games on the LAN here, it takes like an hour to set everything up (installing the game for everyone, setting up the server, getting everyone's controls etc setup) on a new game. Games we already play...sometimes the server crashes, sometimes one of the client rigs or games crashes, sometimes there's strange issues that crop up, etc.

once a mouse & keyboard are supported in-game on Xbox360 games, I will rarely have reason to play PC games ever again.

I still will play PC games, as once a console is 3+ years old, pc games and technology looks better (doesn't necessarily play better nor more reliably though), but for the most part, it is overall a better experience for me and momma and a good number of our friends to play on a great console like Xbox, Xbox360.

Nintendo Wii will be in our family soon and we will be enjoying that for the Virtual Console abilities mostly, but I am sure we'll enjoy some of the Wii games that utilize that crazy controller.

In the UK, the PS3 is at £550 to pre-order.

What a rip-off.

If I do ever go for a console after my PS2 (which I haven't used since I bought my PC :D ) then I would go for the Wii - and that is why I think the Wii will win, as its marketed at the largest market; that is, all families and anyone looking for something different.

And the price is also attractive, especially with the bundle you get.

Sure it will win in overall sales, that is a given as it has been projected a million times over. However when I decide which is a winner personally to ME I look at what the system can offer in regards to my interests. Obviously the interests are the games and although Wii will have some great games, the games I will be interested in mostly will be available on the 360. If I was still 9 years old then the Wii would probably be my option of choice, however as sick as it sounds I like to shoot things in games 75% of the time, unless its a good RPG, strategy or sports game. Plus I am in love with what the hardware out there can do now and the Wii for me doesn't quite cut it as "next-gen". This is only an argument regarding an "either or" situation. If I could only have ONE of the systems it would be the the 360. But because I can I will be probably be adding a Wii alongside my 360 because Nintendo is Nintendo and no one can take that away from them. I have loved the Zelda series from day one (A Link to the Past on the SNES being my favorite) and many other game series which I wont be able to pass up. 360 because its truly next-gen and Wii because Nintendo owned me as a kid.

I like both systems, both powerhouses with Power PC chips....one with Ati....one with Nvidia. Now game developers have all the firepower they need. It's up to them to use it all for the eye candy and physics. Exact same in purchase price as far as I'm concerned. 60 gig PS3 w/ Bluray =599. XBOX360 + HD-DVD which is a must = 599. Both have one main title in which made me purchase the systems.......Gears of War and Resistance. My PC will probably be dusty until Crysis comes out = )

I like both systems, both powerhouses with Power PC chips....one with Ati....one with Nvidia. Now game developers have all the firepower they need. It's up to them to use it all for the eye candy and physics. Exact same in purchase price as far as I'm concerned. 60 gig PS3 w/ Bluray =599. XBOX360 + HD-DVD which is a must = 599. Both have one main title in which made me purchase the systems.......Gears of War and Resistance. My PC will probably be dusty until Crysis comes out = )

the PS3 is not a "power pc" chip it is a 7-core (8) DSP processor that is completely different (and a lot harder to program for) than the Xbox360's custom 3-core PowerPC processor.

read through the link in this thread and see the differences as per game developers (who ultimately make a winner out of a console by being able to program for it)

As some have mentioned its the developers and the games that decide console wars..not necessarily the hardware...or how great things look on paper...

But it appears things are about to even out...just a little bit more...

Link

Havok 4.5 might be able to help out with some of the issues with programming the PS3...

Keep in mind I am not an extreme fan of either system...I enjoy both my PS3 and 360 very much...I purchased both only because I feel that I will get to enjoy all of the "exclusive" titles...and have the freedom to choose the game based on how well it performs on either system...

I think over time Sony may catch Microsoft...keep in mind Europe and Japan are much bigger Sony fans than they are Microsoft...

I know this was just an Xbox360 vs PS3 thread, but since everything has sprouted up:

HD-DVD vs Blu-Ray

I think Blu-Ray will win. Simply because of the much higher storage capacities. Anything in the electronic world that is able to hold more storage capacity is usually the clear winner. And look at them both. They are the exact same physical dimensions. One holds 30gigs the other 50gigs. Hmm....

I'm sick and tired of games being so damn short. We have moved from cartridges to CDs to DVDs...next stop...who holds more of my game? If MS wanted to, you know they could release a Blu-Ray reader for the 360.

360 vs PS3

It's kinda sad Sony has to make things more complicated for developers. From what I have read, I need to give MS points in this department. Speed and performance doesn't exactly need to be more complicated.

PC vs Console

The mouse: You will never get the precision from a thumb pointer that you get from a mouse. Period. What happens when 360 adopts mouse? Well we are all used to playing consoles on the floor, couch, or chair. Is everyone going to move over a table just to have a flat surface for their mouse and keyboard? Should I begin marketing of the "Gaming Flatboard" for console mouse users? There is no doubt in my mind that a mouse console user will be deadlier than a controller user.

The keyboard: The ability to program any key to do anything around your hand as opposed to being limited to only a few buttons on a controller?

So then why don't I stop playing on my PC and switch over to console?

Simple. The PC is my central hub of info and far more convenient. I play competitively. We get clear and clean voice transmissions from Ventrilo. I can quickly minimize my game to look for an IP of a server. I can look for a friend on Xfire while still in game. I can even communicate to friends through xfire while still in game. I can even communicate to OTHER teams in the same Ventrilo server or even switch Ventrilo to another server to look for someone. I can be in a game and minimize to see what time our match starts in our forums and the maps we are playing. I can minimize my game to look at a map strat, etc etc etc. And more below.

Game Server:

Console server: Yeah, console server setup takes 2 seconds.

PC server: More complicated, but that's how I like it. I have setup my UT04 server with FAR more options than ever possibly imaginable on a console server, and that server paid off when I have 10+ people connected to it at the baby Lan parties I have had at my house. Tons of custom maps, custom hitscan options (a.k.a UTCOMP & TAM) and lots of other goodies. Things you would simply not be able to do in a console. TAM addon (Team Arean Master for Death Match maps) is basically a game type that allows EVERY player to start out with ALL the UT weapons. No hunting of weapons. It comes down to a game of skill. And every player has brightskinds enabled. No one has the disadvantage/advantage of a larger or small, dark or bright skin model.

IMHO, the console would have to turn into a full pledged PC in order to have some of the additional flexibilities as I mentioned above. But not everyone is hardcore, and that's where consoles come in. You turn it on and you are in a game. They both have their markets. For the hardcores like I, PC is the way to go.

if MS wanted to, you know they could release a Blu-Ray reader for the 360.

uh, no they can't, not without paying Sony a piece of money, and that would be...suicide for MS to pay Sony, a DIRECT COMPETITOR to use Sony's technology.

Blu-Ray and HD-DVD are different. They are the same in that they are high-capacity dvd's, but they are not technologies that can just 'get a software update' and blammo you can read Blu-Ray disks in an HD-DVD drive.

What happens when 360 adopts mouse? Well we are all used to playing consoles on the floor, couch, or chair. Is everyone going to move over a table just to have a flat surface for their mouse and keyboard? Should I begin marketing of the "Gaming Flatboard" for console mouse users? There is no doubt in my mind that a mouse console user will be deadlier than a controller user.

if MS has their way, no game will ever support mouse (like an FPS game), as all mouse users would instantly annihilate all game controller users in FPS and RTS games. Even the worst pc FPS player can crush the best console player because of the difference in control in an FPS game.

MS always never wants the Xbox to be a 'PC' which is why it has never had a real mouse supported.

Take into account that not only does the console itself have to be able to accept (and use properly) a mouse, but the games also have to do this, which means game devs have to program it for mouse sensitivity, etc.

This probably won't happen with the muscle that MS has (and when they don't want something, you normally ain't getting it)

I want a mouse for my 360 so I can enjoy FPS games on my favorite console finally.

But you do raise interesting point on controller comfort and ease of use etc.

My idea is simple...make a controller that has instead of the d-pad a mouse ball. Or replace the second stick with a mouse ball type thing (it would be a special controller for FPS games for example). This would be like a trackball mouse that some people use (i have one and i love mine for my laptop as i dont have to move my mouse around or find a flat surface etc, and i hate the stupid laptop touchpads)

or just add it somewhere to an existing controller if possible.

Or make a special, custom mouse/mini-board combo. Sorta like teh Nostromo Speedpad thing (N50?). Then you'd have say 10-20 digital buttons (like keyboard buttons are) for one hand, and a real mouse (or a customized mouse of some strange sort lol) in the other.

Find a way to do as you say, make it comfortable and useful and practical in replacement of a good game controller (and the xbox360 is by far the best controller I've used, even better finally than the very great dual-shock Sony), and you'd have a winner easy.

So then why don't I stop playing on my PC and switch over to console?

Simple. The PC is my central hub of info and far more convenient. I play competitively. We get clear and clean voice transmissions from Ventrilo. I can quickly minimize my game to look for an IP of a server. I can look for a friend on Xfire while still in game. I can even communicate to friends through xfire while still in game. I can even communicate to OTHER teams in the same Ventrilo server or even switch Ventrilo to another server to look for someone. I can be in a game and minimize to see what time our match starts in our forums and the maps we are playing. I can minimize my game to look at a map strat, etc etc etc. And more below.

this is one of those "to each his own" things. Clans and such enjoy Xbox Live because it is the best online gaming service, bar none (and thats coming from me, who hates playing online for the most part, and only has Live to get game updates and such). It's different than PC gaming. It's more centralized.

Keep in mind that you as a PC gamer are considered 'hardcore' for the fact that you bandy about words like Ventrilo and IP Address and such. This isn't an insult in anyway, this just is.

Consoles are a much different monster than PC's. Consoles are an 'all-in-one' box of fun. They are simple for a reason (and reality states that console games outsell PC games by about 25:1 these days, so there must be something to it, like that inward scream you scream to yourself everytime you see a kick-butt game coming out but it won't be coming out for PC, only one of the consoles grrrrr, like Guitar Hero lol)

This doesn't make them better, this only makes them different. This does however also make them much more popular...and the numbers don't lie...while there may be 10x or 100x more internet pc games going on at any given time, that is only because gaming on the internet is basically free (internet, game, and pc notwithstanding of course), while console gaming on say Live is $50 a year, and also the console just came out a bit over a year ago, while games like half-life original have been out for a lot more years.

But the true reflection of the popularity of console games is in the dollar amounts in terms of sales of games.

Console games simply outsell PC games by a monster number. If a pc game sells 100,000 copies, it is considered successful enough to get a sequel (and some a lesser number).

If a console game only sells 100,000 copies, it is probably a shitcan title that sucks.

If a PC game sells 1,000,000 copies, like World of Warcraft or The Sims, for example, it is a phenomenal success, and is heaped with praise.

If a console game sells 1,000,000 copies (and there are a hell of a lot more 1mil copy console games than pc games), it's standard fare really.

Then there's the whole nature of console gaming vs PC gaming in terms of support.

How often have you tried to LAN with your friends, or you and your clan or buddies show up to play say Counter Strike all together, and one of you can't connect. Or one of you keeps crashing to desktop. Or one of you can't get Ventrilo working or connected. Or one of you...well, you already know all the routines and voodoo we have to go through to get even 4 of us together regularly without issue to play a game. This isn't even counting patches, drivers, etc.

Console games...? Pop the disk in, get on Live (or whatever console service, assuming it has one), and get into a game. The patches are minimal and will work on every console since every console is built with the same exact hardware (or a VERY EXTREMELY SMALL difference in hardware, like the Xbox had 3 different DVD drive models).

you simply pick up a controller, put on the headset, and join up with a friend that is already in-game.

It really doesn't get any more simple and support-free than that, and this is why console online gaming is surging in popularity, and will eventually displace PC online gaming (especially when MMO's start to hit the consoles in force, and that is coming my friends, mark my words).

now again, none of this makes console gaming any better, or pc gaming any better.

it's all about what you prefer. Like me, I hate FPS and RTS games on consoles and won't play them. Ever. I don't even really like Gears of War....not because it isn't possibly the greatest game I've ever played (it truly is), but because it is that same bs where I have to rely on my aiming precision on a freaking analog controller stick (when I've grown up playing FPS games with a mouse/keyboard, but more importantly, I KNOW for a FACT that mouse/keyboard is superior in FPS games).

If consoles had a mouse/kb type controller that was as precise and as good as my pc's mouse/kb, you'd never see me play another pc game again probably.

Oh I'm sure I would play pc games, as there will always be killer games for PC that never will see the light of day on a console, but you know what I mean.

IMHO, the console would have to turn into a full pledged PC in order to have some of the additional flexibilities as I mentioned above. But not everyone is hardcore, and that's where consoles come in. You turn it on and you are in a game. They both have their markets. For the hardcores like I, PC is the way to go.

this is true, but this thread is about Xbox360 vs PS3, not about Xbox360 vs PC. ;)

IMHO, the way the PS3 and Sony are going, blu-ray gonna fail. It's another proprietary format that they refused to let fly the way it could have (or took too much to launch to begin with).

Games short? Depends what you play, RPGs run to 200+ hours already ffs, if you complete everything. You get expansions, mods, MMOs go on indefinitely. I think 3-4 hours of quality game is worth the £12 or so I spend on it... the new formats, it's that much just for the blank media. Always thought the 'playing time' argument is a fairly hollow one.