Xbox360 vs PS3 - an "insider's" perspective

Angry_Games

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On paper, the PS3 sounds like the best thing since sliced bread. But I think there are some things that will hold it back...

1) The average person still does not have a TV supporting HD with HDMI inputs.

2) It's very possible that HD-DVD will win the format war.

In this case, you'd be stuck with a drive that will only read your games and Sony movies.

3) The PS3 is expensive. $500 is still WAY too much for all but the hardcore gamers.

4) For most people (the true gamers) it's the games that matter.

As the article said, the Xbox 360 might not have the overall processing power, but it does so more efficiently.

5) Xbox Live is awesome. I proudly say I wasted 7 months of my life playing Halo 2. I spent 10 minutes on a PS2 playing Star Wars Battlefront and I about killed myself.

After reading that article, those seem to be the primary reasons why Xbox 360 > PS3

But then, I only use my Xbox 360 for Halo, the rest of my gaming is done on the computer. But this is definitely an interesting argument.

In my opinion, FPS games are always better on a PC. Sports games are good on consoles.

just saying, i dont think $500 for a gaming system is alot of money, think about it.

just for gaming, ONLY FOR GAMING, its $500. you go out and buy JUST A graphics card and with tax its hitting 450. depending on what card

i no there is a big difference between pc and console gaming, but buying a console for gaming purposes only is a much better investment than any pc

oh i no, but u brought up that its too much, and im just pointing out for pc graphics to look the same its gotta be 1500+ price

360 does have a huge north american game line up, compared to the ps3, which has like Bratz Barbie stuf..

All I can think of is those old "priceless" credit card comercials

Xbox 360 xxx dollars

PS3 xxx dollars

Xbox 360 game xx dollars

The look on your friends face when he realizes he has a $500 paperweight..... priceless

please note, I am not a Xbox fanboy, or a PS3 fanboy, I have 0 use for either of them, I owned an Xbox for 5 months, and never played 1 game, just watched movies... Simply pointing out my perspective on the current marketing and availability

PC Gaming > Console gaming all day long. Especially for FPS type games (CSS, F.E.A.R.)

well now this is an opinion

I prefer gaming on my Xbox, PS2, and Xbox360 to my pc these days

I won't argue that the games normally look better on the PC, but with the 360 they are looking quite fantastic on my HDTV. Especially as programmers feel out the system more and more and make the machine give as much horsepower as it possibly can (think of peak-Xbox days when they'd mastered the machine's power).

But that ain't even really it. I play games that don't look as good as my pc, but that's because they aren't made for my PC. Those that are, I prefer to sit in my easy chair and 42" tv and theater surround system.

A some games can't be had on my consoles, so I play them on PC. I ONLY play FPS on PC. I refuse to play it on console. Hate the controls.

Everyone has different tastes. Consoles are far more popular that PC's for gaming. If you don't believe it, look at the sales for games. WoW is the only game I can think of that is close to matching console games in sales.

I like both, but prefer the console most of the time.

So this is a big investment for me. A reason for an HDTV, digital theater sound system, the console(s) that I can afford that will give me the most pleasure...

I think that the 360 is an amazing bit of kit for the money and the graphics are as good as any thing i have seen on the PC and all ready using DX10, so what if its not pumping out 200 FPS its look fantastic on any HD large screen TV you be very hard pushed to get any sort of PC that can do what the 360 can for the same money or double even! And I wont be buying a PS3 this time round but I will miss game like MGS and Gran Turismo for sure, but I'm sure one of my M8s will get one!

I think that the 360 is an amazing bit of kit for the money and the graphics are as good as any thing i have seen on the PC and all ready using DX10, so what if its not pumping out 200 FPS its look fantastic on any HD large screen TV you be very hard pushed to get any sort of PC that can do what the 360 can for the same money or double even! And I wont be buying a PS3 this time round but I will miss game like MGS and Gran Turismo for sure, but I'm sure one of my M8s will get one!

this is exactly my feeling

I have probably more powerful pc's than 99.9999% of you, yet the Xbox360 is amazing. It can play Oblivion at higher resolutions than 95% of the computers in the world and it only costs $499.

But the more important feature, that this thread was about, is that it's a dream to program for with the XNA and DirectX toolset/API compared to the PS3, because PS3 has to be complicated and proprietary (remember betamax? mini-disc? VAIO computers?)

The games will be awesome, I am already on the jonez for Forza Motorsport II....

The 360 is easier to program for today, but when devs know how to efficiently use a ppe w/ 8 spe's ps3 may leave 360 behind (granted there is no Halo3 gears of war etc.). Also, I love anime and the ps3 offers the possibility of playable animes. I'm not buying now b/c I need pc for school and I feel that the xbox exclusives will eventually hit pc http://pc.ign.com/articles/746/746486p1.html. In the link at the beginning of this thread "deepthroat" says maybe "I suspect a few years down the road some high budget, first party PS3 exclusive titles will come out that really take advantage of the SPU’s and do things the XBOX 360 can’t" if this happens, 360 owners may contract ps3 envy.

Having said that, when my friends asked me about the consoles over the past year, I (former sony fanboy) would always say there is no competition, 360 is in stores and ps3 is unreleased technology. If I was buying today or between 12:00:00 and 12:00:15 on thanksgiving (when 360 core units only cost $100) I would want to play the most popular fps GEARS OF WAR. Today's winner, 360. Next-gen winner, we'll know b4 2010 (sony needs some killer apps).