Sign in to follow this  
casmello

Computer Repair, im at a loss....

I'm a little unclear as to your psu, sorry.

1. Does it turn on and run (PSU fan happily blowing) but the board doesn't boot?

Or

2. Does it briefly turn the fans and then shut down.

Guys....

Kinda missing the info here....He states when he plugs in the PSU or switches it on the fans start spinning....

NOTHING is supose to spin until the power switch on the pc is hit (or the switch on the board....

NOTHING is supose to happen when the PSU is plugged in except the power LEDs on the board that are suposed to light....(standby and ram LEDs)

There is more going on here...

Pull everything out of the case...even the board and build it on the table...with just the hard drive and rom...and of coarse cpu and ram...

try it that way...

Sound like something is shorting and causing power to go to the fan when the PSU switch is on...either the board got grounded some where or the board itself failed....

I'll make this very clear. If the board is built outside of the case, with recommended components, minimal hardware, and built according to the DFI build guide . . .

And the fans spin up when you power on the psu without even pressing the power or reset switch on the motherboard, then you should RMA the board.

With that being said, a lot of your success or failure will depend on whether you purchased your board new, open box, recertified (or even from a reputable reseller for that matter).

If you purchased your board, brand new, sealed box, from a reputable reseller, arrange an RMA and be done with any questions about whether the board is at fault or not.

And then, onto the PSU issue . . . I don't care if your PSU has received 10,000 gold stars from review sites that sing it's praise (most of whom get free gear or a nice stipend for saying good things about a particular product). If it hasn't been used by numerous forum members and managed to make it's way to the recommended PSU list, just save me all the explanations about how great the PSU is, or contact the PSU mfg. and ask them to send a couple of test samples to DFI-Street for certification.

Aight well im going to let this cmos reset keep on til tomorow at 7pm, if that doesnt work ill rip everything out and try it on the table. So, again if I plug in the power, and start my PSU there should be NO fans at all until i switch from the motherboard correct? If there is i should RMA the board? I got the bored brand new from newegg.com.

Guest erico
Aight well im going to let this cmos reset keep on til tomorow at 7pm, if that doesnt work ill rip everything out and try it on the table. So, again if I plug in the power, and start my PSU there should be NO fans at all until i switch from the motherboard correct? If there is i should RMA the board? I got the bored brand new from newegg.com.

Fans should never come on until you power on

Your MOBO is giving your PSU a PS_on signal that turns on the PSU. That is supposed to be only when you push the power button, so what is happening is quite unusual.

This website has a decent explanation.--> PC Boot Process

Your MOBO is probably toast. RMA time. "wevvspot" is on the money.

I'm only speaking from experience. I've had a couple of m/b (none of them were DFI) that exhibited the same problem. After I ruled out power supply problems, the only solution was to RMA the motherboard. After I received the new m/b's the problem was resolved.

Have seen this once on an MSI board and once on an Abit board.

I have seen the same thing as wevsspot but in one instance the power supply was the issue as it had somehow given itself the 'turn-on' signal itself and anytime a board was hooked to it...the board tried to come on...so this type of issue can be a double-wadded up pain to diagnose sometimes...almost impossible to just say it is A or B but the process you guys are going thru seems as 'good' as it can get.

RGone...:confused:

I'm only speaking from experience. I've had a couple of m/b (none of them were DFI) that exhibited the same problem. After I ruled out power supply problems, the only solution was to RMA the motherboard. After I received the new m/b's the problem was resolved.

Have seen this once on an MSI board and once on an Abit board.

ok well its all hooked up, I have 1 red LED lit up. It boots up fine, i didnt fool with BIOS much, but now im looking at ... i WAS looking at a screen that said please enter system disk or something but i boot it up now and it has that f'in Detecting array... again and its frozen there... Since i have a new motherboard and psu do I have to reinstall windows? its the same exact mobo

ok wait i went into BIOS, and it didnt see either of the 2 harddrives so i hit auto detect and it found both of them.. I restarted then it froze at the lanparty LOGO, so i unhooked one let it boot, 1 LED was on, it did detect array for a couple seconds then said enter system disk and hit enter, i hit enter and it repeats

so i unplugged that hd, and plugged the other one in. it boot up fine, NO LED was on, it DIDNT detect array, but it did say enter system disk. I dont no which harddrive has the windows on it

what should I do?

Guest erico

You have a new MOBO. And a new PSU. Did you happen to keep a printout of your DRAM and GENIE BiOS settings from the other MOBO? Need to make sure that this MOBO is set up to run as the other one was. Keep us posted. :)

When you get a chance...update your signature (new PSU info, Part # of your Titanium DDRAM..) will keep all of us :) on the same page.