Turn A 9700 Non-pro Into A Pro

Mr.Grim

If i wanted to save some money and get a radeon 9700 non-pro. What would i need to do to turn it into a pro? I heard somthing about flashing the bios with a pro bios to do it.

That brings up some more questions thoe. I heard thought flashing a bios was pretty dangerouse and if you screw up the hardware is useless. So what do you use to make it safer and what bios would i have to flash it with?

Would it be the same with a 9800 non-pro?

Ok, now i found a 9800 non-pro for about the same price of a 9700 pro. So which one should i get?? If i could turn the non-pro into a pro that would be pretty sweet and a really cheap 9800 pro.

Edited by Mr.Grim

Take a look at the amount of RAM the video card uses. Look also at the clock and memory speeds of the video card. Usually, the faster the better. Can your motherboard support AGP 8x? Does the 9700 Pro and 9800 support AGP 8x? It would be extremely helpful if you could post the specifications for both video cards.

Regarding what you were saying about turning a 9700 into a 9700 Pro, I found this link which expounds on how to turn a 9500 into a 9700. I am not certain about the reliability of this information but it is most definitely worth a look.

http://www.darkcrow.co.kr/News/Eng_News.asp?board_idx=1655

Aristotle, much of your information is incorrect, or incomplete.

Yes, a 9700 can be turned into a 9700 Pro by flashing the BIOS.

Yes, a 9500 can be turned into a 9700, and then flashed or overclocked to a 9700 Pro. I did this myself.

Yes, a 9700 can be superficially turned into a 9700 Pro by overclocking the card.

Yes, the 9500, 9600, 9700, 9800 all support AGP 8X, and I wouldn't doubt if the 9200 does as well.

Yes, I know too much about ATi video cards.

Yes, I will stop now.

Trios

I flashed my 9700 non-pro to a pro. The card can handle it no problem at all, as long as it has the samsung ram. If it has the Infineon ram, its a little more questionable.

Also, I should state that it is better to flash the 9700 np to a pro than to just try and overclock it to pro speeds. There has been some debate over what exactly the difference is (some people say it's the memory timings, some say its the memory voltage), but the results speak for themselves; you can get your ram faster on a pro bios than on an unlocked non-pro bios. My non-pro's ram would only get up to about 600 mhz before artifacts appeared with the non-pro bios. However, with the pro bios my memory runs flawlessly at the default 620 mhz.

If the 9800NP that you're looking at has the Samsung ram (3.3ns or faster), you'll be able to flash it to a 9800 pro no problem. I'll provide the links for the stuff you need if you decide to go this route.

When flashing your video card bios, the odd time something can go wrong (if your memory can't handle it etc). Unless you flash it back to it's original bios, you won't get any picture. You can go about this 2 ways. If you have a PCI video card laying around, toss it in beside your Radeon, then proceed to flash your old bios back on to the Radeon. If you don't have one laying around, you'll have to do it blind. I recommend writing down step by step everything you have to type in order to do this.

Radeon flashing utility:

http://www.digitalsynapses.com/9800mod/flashrom/

Radeon 9800 Pro bios:

http://www.digitalsynapses.com/9800mod/98-8004.BIN

You'll also need a dos bootdisk, which you can get at:

http://www.bootdisk.com/

Thanks everyone! Now the next question is how safe is it to flash a 9800 into a pro? I know it has to have the samsung memory but what if it doesnt have 3.3? Also could anything else happen to the card other than no picture and me flashing it back? I just dont want to $250 paper weight sitting around.