Sign in to follow this  
blair41

New Build Problem

Greetings,

I just put some new pieces into my sons computer namely the following:

DFI LanParty nF4 SLI-DR Motherboard

FSP Epsilon 700 Watt PS

Sapphire ATI Radeon X1950 XTX 512 MB

Various parts from the old configuration such as AMD 4800+, hard drives, 2 GB DDR, DVD drives, sound card etc....

After putting the bits together, and turning the maching on the only thing that happens is all the fans turn on, lights come on on the motherboard, that's it! No beeps, no drive spin-up nothing.

I've connected the PS 20 & 4 pin connectors to the 24 pin socket, cleared the CMOS, all devices are powered.... but nothing is happening.

I've built several PC's over the years, but it's been a while, I'm wondering whether I've forgotten to do something or I may have a bad part any suggestions would be appreciated.

Welcome!

Put the system - even though it's your sons - in a permanent signature, please.

Besides the 24-pin socket you shall have a 4-pin closer to the CPU, molex-type and a floppy-type socket as well. All has to be connected. See this link: http://www.dfi-street.com/forum/showthread.php?t=20832

The link above give some other suggestions as well about the whole build. Check if you've missed something.

If it doesn't work try to clear CMOS (battery out and the jumper in clear position for about 10 minutes).

Good luck!

Edit: it could be a good idea at this stage to not connect any extra devices, like sound-cards, or more hard drives than necessary for the initial installation of an operating system.

What's a permanent signature?

I've reviewed the link you suggested and went back to enure everything was connected and it is. One thing I discovered is the power supply won't engage if the 4 pin connector is plugged into the connection behind the 24 pin connector, but will if plugged into the remaining four pins in the 24.

I cleared the CMOS (first I tried the jumper method and then removing the battery for a half hour) it made no difference.

I've replaced the video card with a known good one as well as the CPU which didn't make a difference either.

The CMOS clear that you should be following is this one. Also, you must have all power connections plugged into the board. For details - see the following post by @Sharp.

To be honest, i think you're attempting to plug the connections in the wrong way: The 20+4 pin connector should be joined together into the full 24-pin connector. The two plugs will slot into place together on one side, so you know it is correct. This goes into the 24-pin plug on your Mobo. There is an additional 4-pin (square) plug from your PSU that goes into the plug next to the 24-pin. You will also need a standard molex connector (4-pin, large & rectangular ) and a floppy connector (just between the CPU and grafix cards). Plug them all in then try booting again. Once you get a boot, your first port of call should be the BIOS, where you can start setting up your machine...

ganders75....Thanks for the advice

It was the 4 pin behind the 24 that I was missing. At least it's booting now.

I'll ley you know how it goes.

Thanks again.

You are very welcome - good luck, and don't forget to follow the build guide posted earlier... it has saved countless people hours of frustration.

One thing to note: you will have a hard time getting it to run 4 mixed sticks like yours. These boards do not like 4 sticks at the best of times, and running non-matched sticks can be a bit of a struggle...

for all 4 sticks you need to disable CPC in the BIOS, and in some cases you might have to run them at the DDR333 divider.

Thanks again to all who helped out with my problem. As it stands now, I just need to do some tweaking to get the system running the way it should.