Re-installing Zalman VF900-CU

johndh

Sorry to be bumping the thread. Thanks for the link t ski, I found some Akasa pads at http://www.thecoolingshop.com for anyone interested (just search for 'thermal').

Anyway, I got bored of finding someone with a credit card to order me that and a ThermalRight HR-05 SLI, so decided to whip the HSF off the x1900 and take a peak inside. I'm gonna catch some sleep in a minute, but so far I've succeeded in re-attaching the four old ramsinks and attaching the four spares (yes, the X1900XT has EIGHT memory chips), and it SEEMS to be doing okay. Obviously ythe ashesive isn't what it once was, but it seems to be sticky enough - they're not that great even when new. It takes a small amount of human force to remove both new and old sinks, but the most strenuous real-life force will be their own mass acting for GPE against the adhesive holding them on, which, since they're aluminium, shouldn't be too much of a problem.

I'll be eating my own words tomorrow morning when I fit the cooler and a ramsink falls off and fries my Motherboard xD

Alright, I went for the big drop and fitted the cooler. VERY quiet, only an ear-pleasing "woosh" to be heard at close range. I fitted all 8 sinks in the hope that the heat from the memory would bond what was left of the adhesive.

Watch this space for "OH NO!!!! MY MOTHERBOARD IS DEAD!!"