Sign in to follow this  
johndh

Re-installing Zalman VF900-CU

Hello again all,

Having purchased an ATi X1900XT as an upgrade from my X800XL, I'm considering jumping the VF cooler from old to new. I haven't had the cooler long, so it would be nice to get some more use out of it, and I find the stock 1900 HSF's sound to be unpleasant, not to mention too loud.

I really like my Zalman, but I'm unsure about replacing the RAM sinks - Will the adhesive remain intact for a second run? They've been off the previous sinks for about 2 weeks now, since that was when I was about to reinstall them on to the new card, but this problem crossed my mind. I definitely don't want the RAMsinks to fall off during usage - that would obviously cause all kinds of problems. Is there anything I can do to ensure proper contact between sink and ram chip in case the adhesive has deteriorated?

I seek the notoriously learned opinions/advise of the DFI-Street users :)

Many thanks,

John.

John, I also have the 1900XT with the Zalman VF900. Good cooler. But as far trying to use your memory heatsinks again, I would be a little leary. You can get a good thermal adhesive fron Arctic Cooling. Might be a safer way to go. Don't take the chance. Ken

You can use the Arctic Silver thermal epoxy, but you would probably never get the rams sinks off your card without destroying it. If that is no concern to you, then go ahead. However, if you would like to be able to remove them for say, warranty service, I would suggest buying some frag tape. I'm sure you can get some at SVC (don't forget to use the link to support DFI Street). If they don't have any I know you can get some from Hank over at Performance-PCs.com, or Gary at sidewindercomputers.com.

Thanks for the quick replies;

I'm not sure about the warranty thing - Would I be sure of being able to remove the sinks withot damaging the chips if I used thermal/frag tape? I'm thinking it might be better to go with the Arctic Silver idea - my only concern being that it's quite a new card (Sept 06) so it has some margin for RMA-requiring error yet...

I will be ordering some thermal tape and arctic silver with a Lian Li V1100 PLUS case :D Only thing left to do is make a decision on the tape/epoxy...

It's interesting to see just how popular the X1900XT and VF900 really is.

Thanks again,

John.

As near as I can tell, the ramsinks are pretty much unneeded. I've been running my xtx for months now and I've had zero problems while watercooling. I've got pretty good flow in my case so even the voltage regs rarely break 65C while ultra-OCed.

Good luck.

I have heard that the BGA memory chips are easier to knonk off than the old TSOP chips, so I was thinking that any effort to remove the chip would be enough to take them off. If it was my choice I would buy some good frag tape and use that, but it's you call. Your needs may be different than mine.

Yeah, they are VERY easy to knock off... it took just a tiny bit of leverage-type force to take the sinks off the X800. This is why I'm considering thermal paste. I need to get some decent arctic silver anyway which is why I'm doing that, but may well decide against it and use the fragtape (same as thermal tape?) when the time comes.

Just as a sidetrack note, if anyone who is looking for a very quiet and efficient BTX-style case hasn't checked out the Lian Li V1100 PLUS, I reccommend doing so. Everything I've read about it has been very positive - I suppose for £150 you do expect something pretty decent though, so it might not be in everyone's pricerange.

Edited the previous post - I of course meant to say "Lian Li", not "Zalman".

Yes, frag tape = thermal tape

Epoxy = glue

Paste (aka compound) ≠ glue

And yes, everyone loves a Lian LI if they can afford it ;)

Ah, I thought thermal paste contained some sort of adhesive, I stand corrected. Thank god for that. Looking now, I see there are two versions of AS5 - One of the Epoxy and one of them Paste, so I'm assuming the Paste version has no adhesive.

Well anyway, if I can find some fragtape in the UK (pretty difficult to source) I will use it :)

The epoxy is for butting on heatsink you don't want to remove and the paste is for everything else that can be mounted with screws, springs or clips. If you don't want to use epoxy, but don't have screws, springs or clips, then you have to use tape. Easy enough? ;)

I'm interested in this also. But like the guy from the UK said, its difficult to find frag tape over here. So, johndh, if you find a source of fragtape in the UK or europe, let me know :)