Which Opteron will OC me farther?

red930

Sorry if it seems like a noobish post, but which Opteron will get me farther on OC? Opteron 165 or 170? Seems like Newegg is pushing out a ton of CCBBE's, so I'm picking one up. Do they all get an average of 2.8ghz? Is the 170 a waste of $25?

Thanks.

Without knowing the stepping in advance either choice is a gamble. Base your decision on the memory you will be using. If PC4000 buy the 165. If a lower speed get the 170.

I would say go for an Opteron 165. They overclock like mad, and all the Opteron models seem to top out around the same speeds, so save the $25. My Opteron CCBBE 016XPMW from mwave is doing 2.7ghz rock solid at stock volts, stock cooling! My best bro picked an Opteron 165 from newegg last week and received the same stepping! His motherboard's (a DFI Lanparty nForce4 SLI-DR) chipset fan died a while back and we only realized it while trying to overclock-obviously that wasn't going to work (pushing 50% fsb OC's without a fan wasn't going to work lol), so two Evercool VC-RE's are on their way (one for me and one for him). Then his will be up in the 2.7ghz+ range as well.

Edit: what Praz said is also true.

get a 165 because all the cool kids do.;)

Seriously though, both are good CPUs and it depends what you are looking for. If you want to try and hit 3 ghz you would have a better shot with a 165 with proper stepping. Look on ebay for steppings, Newegg won't allow you to find which one you are getting.

If you are an average Joe with overclocking then either choice is good. If on a budget look at the 165 or even a 3800+.

Sorry if I forgot to spec my system.. memory is Ballistix PC4000.

Gonna use dividers cause I don't wanna clock it too high and watch it degrade over time. Probably gonna keep it around DDR450? I'll see.

I've ordered a 165 from Newegg.. need it by next Wednesday (using free 3-day shipping) in time for Thanksgiving holidays.. that's about the only time I'll get to OC, since I'm still in high school.

One other thing: temperature-wise, will those two make a difference? At around 2.8GHz is where most people seem to stop due to heat issues. I'm pretty sure it doesn't make a difference, but I'd like to solidify my thoughts.

Thanks.

Have you thought about a 146?

These babies OC like a dream. I'm new to this game but mine's clocking at 2.95 gig on air, maxing at 38C :eek: (tested stable Prime95 for 20 hours)

Cheers

EqualSQL :dog:

The 165 and 170 have that advantage of having 2 cores.