Sign in to follow this  
Spring2188

Robbed

Came home today to find my apartment was broken into. Bastards took my moniter and tower, my dvd collection (about 130), my digital camera, my down comforter and my hunting boots. Dumbasses took my hunting boots but left my rifle which was right next to them. Police came out and dusted for prints and got some off a dvd-r spindle that was on my tower and they got some prints off a culligan bottle I had some change in.

Thinkin about hittin the pawn shops with a list of my stuff and offering them a reward if they come across anything.

I spent about $1700 on my rig about a year ago and now it's gone. Anyone here have any reccomendations on what else I should do. Damn this sucks!!

Talk to every neighbor you can think of, sometimes people see things but only can help if you ask, also, it sounds as if somebody knew what they were after, check not only pawn shops but local computer shops. I would say that you have about a 1% chance of ever seeing that stuff again since most stolen items go straight to the junkies dealer.

Sorry to hear about it, this kind of thing makes me sick.

I guess I am lucky in this regard. I live on the 6th floor, we have a small elevator, and the stuff I own that is worth anything good is from 80-200 lbs. It discourages thieves to steal when they have to get a 250 lbs hi-fi down six flights of stairs.

I hope you manage to get your stuff back - visit the police station instead of calling, and change your locks.

This is another arguement for a caseless PC. My new system looks like this, no one is going to steal all of that and still be able to sell/use it if they're in a hurry. :D

I am sorry to hear that you were robbed, I have been there and it isn't just the loss of things you have worked for, the violation of your security can also be a shock to the system.

After i was robbed, I didn't sleep at all for about two nights. It was pretty rough.

Most criminals wouldn't be interested in a rifle as it is not useful to them in their line of social deviancy, and as an item to fence, too easily tracked, even if it managed to get shuffled off into the gun show circuit.

Once again, I am feeling with the need to get renters insurance again, never should have let it lapse in the first place.

Get a good alarm system and keep a gun by your side. As big a fan as I am of the .44 Magnum you probably want something small for this purpose, like a stubby revolver or a small semi-automatic. I'm not a violent person, but if someone's in my house and I know about it, I believe in this situation using force is justified.

Are you insured?

Thinkin about hittin the pawn shops with a list of my stuff and offering them a reward if they come across anything.

The police will send theft reports to all pawn shops ( well if they do there job)

all you have to remember....the person(s) that took the stuff either knew you or knows someone that knew you and knew the stuff was there...

people dont just break into places with out knowing what maybe there....

chances are that stuff is gone already...you probably wont find it at a pawn shop....good luck

This is another arguement for a caseless PC. My new system looks like this, no one is going to steal all of that and still be able to sell/use it if they're in a hurry. :D

That’s easy pickings for parts. I see only a few seconds to grab a psu, HDD, and a video card. Don’t have to lug the entire tower out of there. If you keep important data on that drive, such as personal info, you just made it a little easier for a thief to get.

If anyone here has not watched the program “It Takes A Thief” on the discovery channel, it is a real eye opener as to how fast someone who knows what they are doing can get in and out of your place and take thousands of dollars worth of stuff in only a few minutes. It’s on every evening at 6 pm, PST.

Chances are very good that whoever broke in already cased your place somehow, maybe came in with a friend, but as someone else already said, the person already knew you were an easy target and had stuff they wanted.