I built a new PC for my Wife. It is mainly a DFI LANParty SLI-DR board with an AMD Athlon 64 CPU, 2 GB Corsair XMS RAM and 250 GB HDD. The PSU is an Ultra 550 X-connect 2 and the GPUs are both PNY GeForce 6800 GS PCIe.

The PC runs fine except when I attempt to enable SLI mode via the nVidia console. The screen goes black except for a flashing white cursor in the top left corner.

The LCD is a ViewSonic and it is connected to the top GPU via a DVI cable. I have the mboard jumpers set for SLI, both cards seated properly and all 3 power connecters (1 per GPU & 1 mboard) connected. Any advice is appreciated!!! I have also attempted to reinstall Windows XP and have ensured I am running the same drivers on both GPUs.

• Like 1

So I tried to swap the video cards between the 2 PCIe x16 slots. Both cards work as the primary, but when I enable SLI, nothing. With the cards swapped I no longer get the flashing white cursor, I get no signal. I cannot get video past the BIOS and pre windows screens.

Guest bobyjo
I built a new PC for my Wife. It is mainly a DFI LANParty SLI-DR board with an AMD Athlon 64 CPU, 2 GB Corsair XMS RAM and 250 GB HDD. The PSU is an Ultra 550 X-connect 2 and the GPUs are both PNY GeForce 6800 GS PCIe.

The PC runs fine except when I attempt to enable SLI mode via the nVidia console. The screen goes black except for a flashing white cursor in the top left corner.

The LCD is a ViewSonic and it is connected to the top GPU via a DVI cable. I have the mboard jumpers set for SLI, both cards seated properly and all 3 power connecters (1 per GPU & 1 mboard) connected. Any advice is appreciated!!! I have also attempted to reinstall Windows XP and have ensured I am running the same drivers on both GPUs.

There is a place in bios where you must enable SLI. Did you do this?

I do not have the DR model. Mine is the NF4 Sli-D.

I think they are about the same boards.

your forgetting the sli bridge, which you connect both cards together?:rolleyes:

Well....first thing is...what driver version are you using? and are your cards from different manufacturers? if yes, then you have to use newer drivers otherwise it won't work...the bridge is not mandatory for SLI detection....it's a highspeed bandwidth device...basically it makes sure there's no communication bottleneck...

Guest erico

what model Viewsonic do you have? Have you tried using a VGA cable or does your ViewSonic not have that interface? By the way, there are 4 power connectors that you should have connected on your MOBO not just three.

I know you won't want to hear this, but your power supply is a known trouble-maker. Is there another power supply you could try using?

I have tried both the 61.76 and 93.71 Forceware drivers. Both cards are identical, even in BIOS.

I have the Viewsonic VX922. I have not tried the VGA, and will do so. I have the ATX, stabilizer and SLI power connectors all connected on the mboard. Those are the only 3 power conctions I see on the mboard.

You are right Kingfisher, I do not want to hear that :) Actually I do not have an additional PSU, but may go out and get one for troubleshooting purposes. My other PC has the same PSU but is not an SLI rig.

P.S. I do not think it matters, but I am also running the Asetek WaterChill cooling system.

That does matter. Why? Because it means MORE POWER IS NEEDED. That rig needs an OCZ GamerXtreme 600 watt psu, period. I doubt you are going to have much luck with SLI until you beef up the PSU; these ARE THE MOST POWER HUNGRY BOARDS IN EXISTENCE, OUTSIDE THE SERVER MARKET. My 480 watt is better than that Ultra POS.

Now for some help. Are the jumpers enabled for SLI? I.E, all 4 bricks moved to the lower set of pins (2-3). Do both cards work in normal mode, top slot? do both cards work in the lower slot w/sli jumpers enabled? Basically, do both cards work individually wherever you place them slot wise? And then they only fail in SLI mode?

Guest erico
I have tried both the 61.76 and 93.71 Forceware drivers. Both cards are identical, even in BIOS.

I have the Viewsonic VX922. I have not tried the VGA, and will do so. I have the ATX, stabilizer and SLI power connectors all connected on the mboard. Those are the only 3 power conctions I see on the mboard.

You are right Kingfisher, I do not want to hear that :) Actually I do not have an additional PSU, but may go out and get one for troubleshooting purposes. My other PC has the same PSU but is not an SLI rig.

P.S. I do not think it matters, but I am also running the Asetek WaterChill cooling system.

How much amperage does ASETEK water pump require? It is powered with a fdd power connector from your PSU. Watts (Power) = I(current in amps) X E(Volts)

This is from the Happy_Games NF4 Build Tutorial

DFI_MOBO_Power_Connectors.jpg

This photo also shows the SLI jumpers @ bottom left. You need to add up all the watts that your peripherals (Video cards and such) consume and see if the wattage required is less or more than your PSU is capable of. The bottom lines is: go cheap on the PSU and your DFI MOBO will not work and you will keep on wondering why it doesn't want to play!!