Remote desktop to linux?

Evil_inc

My friends are having me run a linux LAMP server on CentOS. I use xp media center on my main rig and I want to remote desktop to the linux box so I can keep it in a closet over a hard lan line and not run a keyboard, mouse, & monitor to it all the time. I am not fluent in linux at all, this is just for a temp server for a website until we can get it finalized and shipped off to a host, or get a t-1 and run a (better) server from there. Any suggestions?

If you want to run a linux server from a windows box, either you could find an ssh server that has that capability, or you can use putty. Both will give you those abilities.

Putty:

http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/putty/

^^^This is the program we use to control the linux firewall we built in linux install and admin.

It is just like running a virtual machine, except on a different box(in otherword it runs in a window on your host machine

I'm not a *nux guru, but I've been using them for home servers for 5 or 6 years now. I've found the only real good way to run that type of server is by ssh and getting a shell that way. If you need the X stuff then you are wasting resources running graphics, especially you are using it for a webserver only. If you insist on X run something like freeNX. I've tried it on a mythtv box that I have, it works but it doesn't really give you the same shell as if you were sitting behind the computer. More of a virtual shell. Anyways, I prefer ssh and putty and it has worked great for me.

"You should be able to use the VNC protocol."

thats only if they have x11 running, which is a total waste of resources for a server.

You should setup sshd on the server and then you can remotely login to it (from ur lan, or over the internet, granted ur port fowarding/firewall is setup correctly) from widnows with putty. You'll have full console control of the computer remotely.