New Computer for Friend

JoshH

My friend wanted to know if this was a good deal. I did not know if this was a great deal or not for around $625 used.

mobo: msi k8t master2 far

cpu: dual opteron 248's (2.2ghz each)

ram: 1gb of ddr333

video: ati x800 pro

storage: 125gb SATA

case: koolance water cooled case w/ dual cpu water lines (all internal)

It is a socket 940 board with 2 single core opteron 248s. Would that be a good deal or can he build a better computer for the same price?

for servers Ive always recommended tyan but I have to say for the cash that MSI is pretty tempting buy and it has got some pretty decent accolades since release with only agp theres suprisngly not much difference performance wise only down side to the board IMO is it only supports upto 3gb of RAM and as the board retails about $250 new and and about a grands worth of optys you really can't argue with that price, of course cheaper the better, IF he dont want it give us a post.:tooth:

Well, the thing is he's not using it for a server. He is going to use it as a desktop computer. I do not know what he has right now but he mentioned 256mb of RAM so I'm guessing he doesn't have a good computer. He doesn't need a really good graphics card, but I just wanted to know if this was a good deal for him to take.

ok, well this system IMO is not right for him unless he's doing perhaps cad or heavy 3d work I wouldn't reccomend it, by the sounds of his system you could probably source a more viable (perhaps skt939) setup yourself, but that deal is achingly good

He does do 3D work, but I do not believe that it is heavy 3D work. I don't know exactly what he does, but it would be for his 3D work and a normal desktop.

EDIT: I think he uses 3D MAX, but it is like a hobby. The other main things he would do would be normal desktop things (word, firefox, etc.)

That is a lot for the mony. Obviously more orented to server duty but it would also have ben a first choice for graphic design 3 years ago for people with cash.

The person selling it could most likely get more from the parts if he wanted to ebay everything but that is another matter. Aside from games it would be hard to beat if he considered watercooling a plus not everyone wants to mess with that. That would have ben a god box about 3 years or so ago before dual cores went desktop.

They only two concerns would be upgrades and to a lesser extend repair if something broke. AGP upgrades are limited and more expensive same with regestered ram but it doesnt look like he is a upgrade junky like most of us. Repair is obvious but after warrenty a dell is nearly worthless if it brakes.