Don't Drop the Opty!!

red930

I had got 2 165's about a month ago and started testing them today,1st one test out fine, so I get ready for the next, while taking it out of the package.... Oooops, onto the floor it goes!

No big deal I think to myself,just hope nothing inside got fubared, then when I look at it...sheet ..about 30-40 bent pins.

About 3-3.5 hrs later finally get the pins straight enough to go into the socket,what a pain, almost gave up a couple times.

My eyes are bad enough and the magnifying glass didn't seem to help enough,sure is a lot of small pins and they all looked straight after tweaking them.

I've handled a lot of cpu's/ram and never dropped anything b4,wonder if I would have been more careful if it had been a $600.00 cpu.

It was worse than the time I cut into the traces on my new 6600gt while trying to remove some ram HS I had epoxied into the wrong spot

I did something similar, but it was with a s478 pentium 4, the pins are much bigger in respect to the s939 processors. What I did to unbend them was take one of those 1 time closing zip things and run the thiner end up and down the rows to prop up the bend pins, since they bent at the base of the pcb. Lucky for me I was able to sort it out and the cpu worked fine.

Oops! I crapped my pants!

You ought to try dropping a high dollar Itanium processor when there's no replacement for a mission critical server.

Thankfully it followed the buttered-bread principal and landed IHS side down.

It's not just that they cost $2,000.00 but that the PCB is so big that if they hit just wrong they can split right down the middle or pop SMDs in a million directions.

Core 2 Duos have no pins. :D Intel finally did something good! :)

Yeah, they moved the failure point to the motherboard so now you ruin the pins on the CPU socket!

With the cost of motherboards skyrocketing they cost almost as much as the processors now.

Guest DirkDiggler

just take a credit card and slide it through the rows to straighten bent pins, no big deal, as long as they aren't too crushed.

Ive heard using a mechanical pencil works as well... take the lead out of the tip and then stick the pin into the tip of the pencil and bend it back that way.

Never tried it, never had to... first system Ive built was with LGA775, so no pins on the processor to bend.

The socket though, thats another story... they look kind of like springs? As the processor gets pushed down, the contacts on the motherboard look like they get pushed down closer to the PCB, no?

Always a first time to have butter-fingers Playah. Did your efforts go for not or did you get that CPU back up and running?

It's at 2.6GHz right now stock Vcor,don't want to push for more 'ti l get the cooling straightened out

glad you got it worked out playah...so far i havent dropped anything yet, but i try to always work over the middle of a table....but i do get to thinking when i am handling a X6800 which cost me a grand, i better be careful with this puppy.