Sign in to follow this  
iiee

Why "quality" DFI board has diff "quality" RAM slo

Can you explain that a bit more? I would think the best RAM in a system is one that is stable and it doesn't get much better than running RAM in a DFI board.

err, I should change the word "Best RAM" to "Fastest RAM". 512mb module can has tighter timing compared to 1024mb module. i.e. 1.5-2-2-5

512mb module can has tighter timing compared to 1024mb module. i.e. 1.5-2-2-5

Which means nothing in the real world. I'll take 2x1GB/DDR500/1T any day over any combination of 512MB modules.

err, I should change the word "Best RAM" to "Fastest RAM". 512mb module can has tighter timing compared to 1024mb module. i.e. 1.5-2-2-5

As can be seen in my sig i run 2x512

Which means nothing in the real world. I'll take 2x1GB/DDR500/1T any day over any combination of 512MB modules.

And i'm in full agreement with Praz, the only reason i run 2x512 is because they were an RMA and i can't be bothered to change to 2x1024. But given two sets sat in front of me i would take the 2gig any day, why. Because in the real world more ram is more usefull than some than is a little bit faster. If it was in an NF2 then it would be different.

LOL... ya, more RAM is better. tighter timing lose to more ram in real application. This thread is to point out that, why DFI says DIMM2/4 perform better than DIMM1/3, which make user confused that 2/4 is better than 1/3.

I just found out my system problem yesterday at DFI distributor, which I write in another thread about unable to boot 1st slot and dual channel. So i can no more comment on this timing thing until DFI/AMD solved my problem.

LOL... ya, more RAM is better. tighter timing lose to more ram in real application. This thread is to point out that, why DFI says DIMM2/4 perform better than DIMM1/3, which make user confused that 2/4 is better than 1/3.

Slots 1 and 3 will usually run the memory as well as slots 2 and 4 at the processor and memory specified speed. Although this may require different timings depending on which set of slots are used. Slots 2 and 4 are optimized for running the memory above and beyond the manufacturer's specified settings.

LOL ok. So the clarification shall be:-

"DIMM 2&4 exceed normal specification",

and not

"DIMM 1&3 are of poor quality." They fulfill normal spec instead.

LOL ok. So the clarification shall be:-

"DIMM 2&4 exceed normal specification",

and not

"DIMM 1&3 are of poor quality." They fulfill normal spec instead.

Fair enough. :)

None of the slots are of better or less quality, they are set up differently on purpose to allow for more overclocking potential with different kinds of RAM. It's pretty basic really.

If you want to run 4 sticks in the board it will require some effort setting it up. There are no boards out there that you can throw 4 sticks of ram in and start overclocking it.. It just won't happen.

Take the better and lesser slots stuff with a grain of salt and start working with the board to achieve what you want. If you can't get 4 X 512 working in the board, you're just not setting it up right or not trying to set it up right..