Fan Monitering

peshewah

I have 4 fans. 2 rear fans blowing out. 1 side fan and 1 front fan blowing in. My mobo moniters only 3 fans. I have another hole up front for another fan but I want to keep equal number of fans blowing in as out. I thought I maybe hook up 1 rear fan,the side fan and 1 front fan to be monitered. That would leave 1 rear fan blowing out all the time and it would suck air in thru front empty hole. Is there a btter way to set them up? Any ideas?

Generally speaking, it's better to have a bit more exhaust than intake to create a negative pressure environment, but since you only have 4 fans it doesn't really apply here. If I were you, i'd cut a blow hole into the top of the case and use one of your rear fans there, as a blowhole is the most effective for removing hot air. If you're going to keep 1 fan running at full RPM all the time, this would probably be the best place for it.

Whether you want more intake than exhaust depends on who you talk to, obviously. If you have positive pressure, you don't have air rushing in every little crack in your case and sucking in dust. If you have negative pressure, you'll have air rushing in to fill the void, as air likes to fill a vacuum better than escape pressure. Read that somewhere.

i too would cut in a top exaust fan for a total of 5 to be safe. a high cfm 80 to 92mm should do the job. as for fan monitoring, you can always add a third party fan monitor to take up the slack your mobo cant do.

it's the other way around, more intake than exhaust, so u'll have overpressure, so less dust can get in.

Depends on what you want. If you want a clean case, + pressure is fine. If you want better airflow, - pressure is the way to go. If you're worried about dust, you can get filters that don't restrict airflow.

i like these threads... =)

who really cares if dust gets into your computer? that has nothing to do with his problem. He obviously wants to keep the computer cooler, so a "negative pressure" would be appropriate here. It at least keep the cool air flowing quickly and more efficiently instead of making the warm air linger around in the system.

Do what ever you think is the best for your computer. Blow hole is nice, but thats only if you are willing to tamper with ur case and spend a couple of hours doing it. But truly, you dont need all that many fans. That empty hole in the front you were talking about would be fine. You do need some neutral intake holes so the fans in the case wont be fighting each other for air.