[RESOLVED]BOTH ATAPI DRIVES SET MASTER>> HyperX Problem

First post, sorry if a bit wordy

1. Just built this, and have not yet gotten Windows installed.

2. Purchased Kingston Hyperx before discovering that Kingston is not recommended.

3. I tried for days with 1 stick and am now back to both in the comp in the orange slots.

4. Comp will boot consistently and will start to load Win XP; then will consistently halt saying it can't find one or another file, or that one or another file is corrupt.

5. Under my current memory settings (3-4-4-8, I think: New to this timing thing) I consistently get File i386ntkrnlmp.exe could not be loaded. The error code is 7.

6. I think it is a memory issue because I get different erors under different timings; and i have a coupld of times gotten quite far in the install process beofre the errors showed up'; though

7. I have also read it could be an issue with the BIOS and ACPI on the mobo... per article http://support.microsoft.com/kb/812580

8. Any help in how to troubleshoot this, failsafe memory settings for the v6.00 BIOS (remember I'm new to this); or other advise you can give is greatly appreciated.

9. And if it is likely an ACPI poroblem is my only option to Flash the BIOS?? Can you point me to a tutorial that says how to do that?

About to go :mad: CRAZY :mad:

kenbo3667

PS - Thank you for any ideas or pointers you might be able to give thi DFI newbie.

Welcome to the Street

Test your memory by enabling memtest in the BIOS and test #5 and #8 for 15-20 passes each. Then do all tests for 20 passes. Test the memory in the orange slots. This is to rule out your memory being an issue.

Then clear CMOS, load defaults and see if that boots.

actually I have cleared and tried from scratch several times, so far to no avail; but I am doing so again to do the memory testing you suggested... Will have to mess around to figure out how to only the test you mentioned...

I have done the memory testing thing before for a couple hours and fell asleep so I didn't pay attention to any results so, eing methodical will help

Thanks Much

Welcome to the Street

Test your memory by enabling memtest in the BIOS and test #5 and #8 for 15-20 passes each. Then do all tests for 20 passes. Test the memory in the orange slots. This is to rule out your memory being an issue.

Then clear CMOS, load defaults and see if that boots.

I ran memtest for about 18 hours w.o. getting any failures:

Here are the results:

A64 @ 2210 Mhz,

L1 128 18116 MB/S

L2 1024 4501MB/S

Memory 2047 2273MB/S

Chipset Nforce 4 ECC: disabled

Settings: Ram: 200Mhz (DDR401) / CAS: 3-3-3-8 Dual Chamnnel (128 Bits)

Wall time 18:41:...

Cached 2047 M

RSVD Mem 276

MemMap e820-Std

Cache on

ECC off

Test Std

Pass 25

Errors 0

ECC Errs blank

I read somewhere about using cpuid to get settings from the 'SPD" but I am having trouble finding one that can run from floppy.

The good news is I softbooted and from the PC health section the cpu is running at 40 deg C and the PWM 7 Chipset temps and are 50 and 49 deg C.

The bad news is that I tried booting though and got exactly the same the same error:

i386ntkrnlmp.exe could not be loaded. The error code is 7.

I had previously tried booting from both DVD's and with every copy of Win XP we have, so it shouldn't be the Xp disk...

Any wisdom, suggestions, anything? Pls help...

I am becomming despondent.

kenbo3667

I ran memtest for about 14 hours, no problems... Then realized that my problem was not even a memory one... I think... I had both my DVD drives set to master on an IDE cable... I switched those to CS and now it runs perect...

Eeven though it was all an issue with me making stupid newbie errors...

BTW I ran Ntune and had it up to 2551 Mhz all stock, with temps in high 20's low 30's, with the side of my case off... I am amazed

Thanks everyone for the help...

kenbo3667

You can set your optical drives up as master first on the cable and slave 2 nd it will save your system from having to select the order. Also it is realy not a good idea to use a software program to overclock with. Remember your bios is your friend

CS can in it own world cause problems, if you insist on having them on the same IDE ribbons, set one to master, the other to slave.

i can think of only one or two occasions where i had to use the CS to get things to work, usually it was on very old systems, not modern stuffs.

later,

baldy