(Updated) Memory doesnt work on slot1 (yellow) or dual channel

I have been using DFI NF4 Ultra-D for a year before, with Corsair 4400 C25PT. (having wierd problem, finally identified is RAM problem and now sent for claim)

While waiting the claim (about 2 months) I changed to current system, wanna try on tight timing and thus bought 2x Kingston HiperX 3200 1Gb each. I also add on a Gigabyte i-RAM and bought 2x Kingston Value RAM 1Gb each for it.

So the problem here is, with CMOS cleared and no other PCI rubbish installed:-

with single RAM

1st slot (yellow) - NEVER boot on any RAM (HyperX or Value)

2nd slot (orange) - boot on all 4 RAMs. HyperX 2-3-2-6-1T also no problem.

3rd & 4th - never boot, of course.

with dual channel, 1 pair

1st and 3rd (yellow) - NEVER boot on any pair (HyperX or Value)

2nd & 4th (Orange) - NEVER boot on any pair (HyperX or Value)

with dual channel, 2 pairs

NEVER boot

Since i-RAM is very sensitive on defective RAM, I tested all RAMs on it and it was running fine. **confused**

Appreciate any help T_T. Thank you.

First, if you’re test each one of those RAM modules you need to clear CMOS a load defaults before testing the next set or single RAM.

Second, test your memory by enabling memtest in the BIOS and test #5 and #8 for 15-20 passes each. Then do all tests for 20 passes. Test the memory in the orange slots. This is to rule out your memory being an issue.

Third, do not use value RAM.

Hello,

3rd & 4th - never boot, of course. = Normal

with dual channel, 2 pairs

NEVER boot = Normal, that is what happens when you mix modules that are different

1st slot (yellow) - NEVER boot on any RAM (HyperX or Value) = ?

What happens if you use a pair in slots 1 and 2?

All right, I went to the shop and they helped to do intensive testing. Finally found the problem:-

1) The board is not faulty.

2) The RAMs are not faulty.

The shop opened up some of his shop's new Kingston Value RAM, 256, 512, 1024, will NEVER boot dual channel. He then opened up few pairs of new HyperX RAM, 512, 1024, and same thing happened.

The shop opened up 2 of his new DFI board to test, same thing happened.

The shop flashed all official bios from DFI website, no go.

Finally, the shop used a pair of old Kingston RAM, holla, it BOOT dual channel!! We found out the RAM chip was different from those we tested earlier. So the conclusion is, Kingston RAM with Hynix chip will NEVER boot dual channel. Anyway we donno what type of chip is on HyperX...

What about RAM from other manufacturer? The shop tested some and below was the result:-

1) TWINMOS value ram - Boot dual channel (non Hynix)

2) Transcend value ram - Boot dual channel (non Hynix)

3) Corsair XMS 3200 C2PT platinum - NEVER BOOT dual channel !!!!!!!!! (cant see chip type)

That shop has only high performance RAM from Kingston and Corsair, and both will never boot dual channel. He suggested me to go straight to DFI distributor and demonstrate this problem, hopefully the distributor can solve it or, reflect it to DFI taiwan for another bios upgrade.

I think this is important information for DFI fans, hopefully moderator will highlight this in FAQ or something.

You know if you have said Hynix in your first post I would have told about the compatibility problem. (its old news :))

On top of that Kingston modules regardless of the chip sometimes never work as they should.

I will edit this with a note about Hynix, it seems that over time the issue has been forgotten about.

http://www.dfi-street.com/forum/showthread.php?t=24719

ah, thanks. lol Kingston is **not recommended** memory for DFI.

aih, how come the Corsair C2PT wont work as well >_<;

The XMS PC3200 .

TWINX2048-3200C2PT is guaranteed compatable with this MB.

If that model refuses to run.

I would RMA the memory and get a new pair of sticks.

This is what I am running and have no problems at all.

The XMS PC3200 .

TWINX2048-3200C2PT is guaranteed compatable with this MB.

LOL... that is because your PROCESSOR is different from mine.

"WHAT!!? %@$" i guess this is your first impression when you read it. Well I dont believe that too until just now. I will explain it in the next reply.

All right, a breakthrough discovery was made today after I went to DFI distributor today.

I brought along my board, CPU, 2 pairs of RAMs for them to test.

The DFI distributor was nice enough to help troubleshoot my problem. They have carried out these steps:-

1) Tested and confirmed my problem was true with the items i have.

2) Opened up new DFI NF4 SLI-DR Expert to test, cannot boot dual channel.

3) Opened up new DFI NF4 Ultra-D to test, cannot boot dual channel.

4) Opened up new DFI CFX3200-DR to test, cannot boot dual channel.

5) Changed my RAM with their old Kingston RAM 2 x 256mb single sided, BOOT dual channel. RAM chip written "Kingston", but i think Kingston is not making own RAM chip.

Before giving up, the distributor made a call to a "computer expert" to seek advice. That "expert" just say one thing, "the processor".

When I heard that, I feel like, "What!? what to do with processor?? my processor is FX man..."

Unwillingly, I change my CPU with DFI old Athlon 64 3000+ CPU to test. what's next? THE SYSTEM BOOT DUAL CHANNEL, WITH ALL TYPES OF RAM THROWN IN!!!!!!!!!!!! I was speechless when i saw that. When i changed back my processor, dual channel boot failed again.

The distributor kept telling me that dont worry my processor was fine, was a good one...well if my cpu was damaged then i wont be able to use it all this while.

The distributor said they will liase with DFI Taiwan engineering section as well as AMD to sort out the solution. DFI or AMD may directly contact me if needed.

Personally i think this is not AMD FX problem, but more to mainboard compatibility problem. This is a really new discovery, the moderator may can make some comments about this in FAQ or something.

Ohh ya there is one interesting thing during the test. The distributor tried a wierd way to put the RAM as follow:-

CPU : My FX-55

Slot 1 : Value RAM

Slot 2 : Value RAM

Slot 3 : HyperX RAM

Slot 4 : HyperX RAM

Guess what? The system BOOT and printed DUAL CHANNEL, 3.6Gb RAM ... LOL... this shouldn't happen.

I am now back at home running the system with single channel mode (2x HyperX). Unstable to run at rated 2326-1T stock voltage. Adjusted to 2336-1T at 2.8V at the moment.

**** update ***** Single channel unstable. One by one RAM test, one of the HyperX RAM was found unstable at CL2 after overnight stress test. Jesus, what is wrong with Kingston, this is 3rd pair I changed from the shop, all because of one of the pair not stable at CL2.

Hi there...and sorry for my english!

I have the similar problem with my DFI NF4 Expert :confused:

AMD 3500 Winchester

2x512 GeIL Value Dual Channel PC3200 400MHz DDR

nVidia 7800 GTX

Zalmann 7700

Maxtor SATA 200 gb

The yellows slots worked fine the first boot with 2 x 512 in dual channel but after no more! Now, when I power on my motherboard there are 3 diagnostic led light on and the fan turn so fast.

So now I put 1 x 512 in orange slot and it boot.

I tryed to change BIOS too many times but nothing do to.

I test my ram (firt a ram and after another) with memtest #5 and #8 20 passes and no error.

finally...

I tryed to install Windows but (oh my god!!!) it's very slow! Before with my asus I install windows in 10 minutes...now there are 1 hour!

Do you thing that my cpu is not compatibile or wrong with the DFI?

Wich bios I have to use in TMOD cd7.5? It's good?

How I can set bios for my RAM?

GeIL Value Dual Channel PC3200 400MHz DDR

1GB (2X512MB)

184pin, Non-ECC, Un-buffered, high performance DDR memory modules.

GeIL 5ns 32x8 & 64x8 Density DDR Chip.

6 Layers Ultra Low Noises Shielded PCB.

Optimized SPD for Dual Channel DDR motherboards.

Blue Aluminum Heat Spreader.

Lifetime Warranty .

CAS 2.5-8-4-4 (GE5123200BDC & GE1G3200BDC)

CAS 3-8-4-4 (GE2G3200BDC)

2.55V-2.95V

Thank you very much!

(Tried the RAMs and CPU on another board, boots up fine)