Setting up RAID 0

I bought 2x 80GB Western Digital SATA II drives and a DVD Burner for my mom. What a nice son I am. :)

These RAID drivers... do they need to be on a floppy? My Windows XP Pro CD is going to be in my only optical drive, so I dont think I will be able to put them on a CD and install them that way. Where can I get these drivers? DFI website?

RAID is a new thing to me... never done it before. :confused:

well the camera came back and it works

problem is, one of my Hitachi 80GB SATA II's arrived dead from Newegg...so that's an RMA grrrr

I dont think I have any spare hdd's at teh moment to setup a proper RAID array, but I'll try to find something.

if not, you'll have to wait until I get paid as I'm broke for the moment

RAID is not all that hard

you can honestly use the NF4 RAID guides I've already made and pretty much figure out how to do it on the Intel board

Alrighty... Im going to give it a try over Thanksgiving Break when I go home... that way I can use the family computer to come here for help if I get confused.

Ill take a look at the NF4 guides and see what I can learn from them... hopefully doing it with the Intel chipset is somewhat similar.

BTW... when I set up this array, do I put connect the drives that Im going to RAID to the white or the blue connectors on the motherboard, or does it not matter? I have a feeling it does, Intel RAID is one color and then the Award RAID (or whatever the other one is) is the other color. I would look in the manual but Im at work trying to waste time before I go to class... ;)

the only difference between the NF4 RAID stuff that you read of mine, and the Intel 975 (ICH7R) RAID stuff is basically just presentation...the meat is always the same (ie you might have to press CTRL + I to get into RAID instead of F10, and you might have to root around inside the RAID ROM setup area a little differently than you would the NF4 in my little guide...but the gist is always the same...RAID-0 (striping) or RAID-1 (mirroring), set cluster size, set boot ability, clear disk data blammo you are done dont forget floppy for RAID F6 drivers at install wham bam thank you dude...er ma'am

I got the array up and working... just thought I would let everyone know.

Is a 64k stripe size ok?... it recommended 128k. I think I saw that in the NF4 guide, but Im not sure.

Anyways, its smooth as butta now. :)

If you looked in the nForce 4 RAID guide by ExRoadie, they talked about stripe sizes. 32K was good for DVD encoding, and the likes. 16K is better for games is what it came down to also. ;) There's lots of information in there also about the higher stripe sizes, and an impact on performance if any. (I don't recall any performance increase or decrease, but that was almost a year ago)

• 2 weeks later...

Hello...first post and all :)

Wanted to ask you guys which drivers are you using if you do the floppy install ? I get like 15 different drivers, lol :confused: loaded the first 2 but my system never booted to windows just bsoding after the Win XP load screen comes on. I did set it up as i've done several times on a NF4 board, so dunno what im doing wrong. Do i perhaps need to load some driver twice or something, during the floppy install ? Any help is appreciated.

i want my raptors back in action.....:sad: