strange memory clock frequencies - curious problem!

Bolemichel

Hi community,

I don't know what to do with this system. I can't get the memory clock down to normal values! At the picture shown below you will see my default values:

400_3435386631356534.jpg

This screen is taken by only one video card (XFX 7800GT EE 450/1050). The core ist actually right but the memory is two times too high. So I get lots of flickering and games are crashing.

What I've done so far:

complete reinstall of Windows XP (incl. SP2 and updates)

lots of BIOS updates

DMI Pool data recalculation

lots of different NVidia drivers

checked VGA Bios via NiBiTor (shows 450/1050 <- right values)

However, I don't know what to do. I wouldn't open a thread if I hadn't done anything what I imagined. But I can't get it to the right values.

Hope you could help me

Thx a lot

Oliver

:confused: I believe this can't be true because normally I see a screen like this one here (copied from a german homepage):

1.PNG

In my case it should be 450/1050 or 1.05 GHz <- default values with no OC

The memory in the bios is rated at 525 MHz. This means that my DDR speed is 525 * 2 = 1050 MHz not 525 * 4 = 2100 MHz

However, there's no Geforce 7800GT available with a memory speed of 2100 MHz :confused:

The core ist actually right but the memory is two times too high. So I get lots of flickering and games are crashing.

However, there's no Geforce 7800GT available with a memory speed of 2100 MHz :confused:

That's the DDR speed not the basic speed. It's a physical impossibility for the memory to run at the speed that is being displayed if that speed is not the effective speed.

What drivers are you running?

This is an issue with the latest drivers that have been released (93.71)

If this is the case try going back to the 91's or 92's.

THANK YOU VERY MUCH! :)

it depends on the driver, like Fury said. With newer ones I got plenty of problems. Windows was still flickering in idle mode and to play a game was an awesome adventure.

Now, with an older driver (92.91) its wonderful again and my clockrate is recognized correctly. Can play games and the automatic OC function is doing its job nicely. This couldn't be done with newer drivers!

Many thanks, guys! ;)

The 93.71 and later Forceware drivers display the effective (DDR) memory clocks.

checked VGA Bios via NiBiTor (shows 450/1050 <- right values)

This is your problem; in NiBiTor you must enter the SDR memory clocks (rather than DDR).

Your clock speeds in NiBiTor should be 450/525

I just want to point out that even if the newer drivers show the ddr speed, it shouldn't be that high. Even the new 8800's don't have memory clocks over 1.8GHz. The only cards out with the memory clocked that high are the x1950XTX's with the DDR4 on em.

That is strange that the newer drivers would mess with a card like that...

I just want to point out that even if the newer drivers show the ddr speed, it shouldn't be that high. Even the new 8800's don't have memory clocks over 1.8GHz. The only cards out with the memory clocked that high are the x1950XTX's with the DDR4 on em.

That is strange that the newer drivers would mess with a card like that...

As I've already stated; the newer drivers clock frequency display has only been updated to show the DDR speeds rather than SDR speeds. The issues that Bolemichel is having is a result of him clocking the card's BIOS using the DDR speed specs rather than SDR specs (he had his card BIOS clocked to 450/1050 rather than 450/525) resulting in extremely high memory clocks as well as artifacting.

I'm going to have to disagree. There is no way that the card could be clocked to 1050MHz true speed and run much less survive. For whatever reason the driver is messed up and is multiplying the actual speed by 4 instead of two to display the effective speed.

I'm going to have to disagree. There is no way that the card could be clocked to 1050MHz true speed and run much less survive. For whatever reason the driver is messed up and is multiplying the actual speed by 4 instead of two to display the effective speed.

Probably a reporting error; either in the driver or the BIOS. Whichever is the case, the artifacting would indicate (@Praz correct me if I'm wrong) that the memory is being clocked past it's limits. Either that or some weird hardware issue.