New CPU recommendations needed.

BowedToothDoc

Looking to upgrade my CPU and recently purchased an Opty 165 wth hopes of getting up to the 2.8 range. Are there any other processors that I should consider for close to the same price? My X2-3800+ is stable @ 2.4, but cannot go much higher without overvolting. Any input is appreciated.

Sharp,

Thanks for the reply. I don't have the Opty yet, just ordered it from the egg.

I am building a new system as a media server and need a new CPU for that system. I was going to use a 3000+ out of a Home Theater PC that I already have for the server and upgrade that PC with the X2-3800+. Then my OC/Expert rig will get the Opty which I am hoping will overclock better than my current CPU. My only other thought was maybe getting a X2-4600 or better for more $.

If the server is going to be under load all the time, place the X2 in it.

And place the opteron in your pc.

I wouldn't spend to much on an X2 cpu, they are not worth the extra £ ($).

Sharp,

Thanks again. Actually my HTPC needs the X2-3800+ in order to do some video scaling/resizing using a program called FFDshow, which can be fairly CPU intensive. The new media server will be fine with the 3000+, as my current media server has a P4 1.8 processor. Would any other Opty's be a better choice that the 165?

I would be happy with 2.6, but after reading some of the recent reviews on the egg it appears that I may get an Opty with good steppings. Maybe 2.8-3.0 could be a possibility. I'll keep my fingers crossed.:) My current X2-3800+ is only stable at 2.4.:sad:

an opty 170 (x10 multiplier) may have been a better choice, since you have ddr400 ram. Opty's dont like low dividers, so your going to have to loosen your ram timings to overclock the ram. That's what i am currently doing.

My divider on my Opty is at 3:4. I even had it at 7:10 for several months. This is with the 165 at 2.7 GHz.

I did loosen the timings a tiny bit, up'd the voltage, and increased the RAM frequency (through divider) from 197 to 225.

This all led to a jump in 3DMark06 scores of 2 points! WooHoo!

165!

I did exacctly what you are contemplating Doc in Rig #1 below. I pulled the X2 3800+ out(could only get 2.35GHz on stock voltage) and replaced it with an Opty 165 from Newegg last week. I did nothing special, all settings stock, except set FSB to 280(with X9 multiplier, I get 2.52GHz). It runs prime 95 stable, plays every game with ease, and runs 40 degrees under full load. For $159, what more could you ask for?

I too am building an HTPC, but I am going to go C2D for that one.