Getting 2 x 1Gb OCZ to work

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I run my 2 sticks in yellow slots.?

Run 1 stick,and boot into bios.

Then change your voltage for your ram to 2.7.

Then change your cas to 2.5.

Shut it down for a couple of minutes and reboot.

Good Luck.

Thanks. Are you suggesting this will work with 2 sticks also? Right now I can get several settings to work with 1 stick. I'd like to use the second one for something other than a paper weight. :)

If you use another dual channel kit (any other kit) and it does not work in dual channel mode.

Also if you can test the cpu in another (working) pc.

Or Swap out your cpu for another one.

There is no easy way.

If you use another dual channel kit (any other kit) and it does not work in dual channel mode.

Also if you can test the cpu in another (working) pc.

Or Swap out your cpu for another one.

There is no easy way.

Thank you. I'll try the new bios first and see what happens. Aloha.

Have you already read up on CMOS procedure? After loading the new CMOS did you do a long clear? Did you add the second stick with the PSU off and no lights on the board? I assume you tried powering on and off a couple times - I rarely get it to just fire up on the first go after addind a second stick. Given the problems you're having, try doing a long clear after adding the second stick (power down PSU -- no lights, add second stick, long clear, power up). Unplug everything you don't need on the first power up (usb, ethernet, etc.) If that doesn't work, search for ExRoadie's military grade CMOS clear (terms "cmos clear" by "exroadie", "military" is my usage) and do that for 24 hours. Also try powering up with just your boot HD plugged in and no other HD's or optical drives. That has made a difference for me before. It shouldn't be that way, but sometimes it is.

Have you already read up on CMOS procedure? After loading the new CMOS did you do a long clear? Did you add the second stick with the PSU off and no lights on the board? I assume you tried powering on and off a couple times - I rarely get it to just fire up on the first go after addind a second stick. Given the problems you're having, try doing a long clear after adding the second stick (power down PSU -- no lights, add second stick, long clear, power up). Unplug everything you don't need on the first power up (usb, ethernet, etc.) If that doesn't work, search for ExRoadie's military grade CMOS clear (terms "cmos clear" by "exroadie", "military" is my usage) and do that for 24 hours. Also try powering up with just your boot HD plugged in and no other HD's or optical drives. That has made a difference for me before. It shouldn't be that way, but sometimes it is.

I will admit I haven't gone to this extreme. At this point everything is working with 1 stick of ram. I'll continue to work on it. Thank you.

Bios 704-2BTA and the yellow slots.

After any bios flash clear the CMOS for at least 10 mins.

Then power up with yellow slots.

If all fails, maybe the cpu is damaged.

The yellow slots did not work. Still only one orange slot will work.

I think you should try running the ram at 2.5-3-3-7-,and see if you can at least boot into windows at those settings.

Also bump up the voltage to 2.6.

Sorry for my ignorance but if you could put those numbers along with where they go it will be easier for me. Otherwise it may be surprising where I put them. :)

With the numbers from Ryder at OCZ memtest is showing the memory as 2-3-2-8. I've also had memtest report the memory as 2.5-3-2-5. Both of those work with one stick only.