Getting 2 x 1Gb OCZ to work

Have you verified that both orange slots are working on the board? I see that you have checked both sticks already, just checking to see if you also did the mem slots

Hmm, well now that you mention it...... May I assume that by mem slots you mean put one stick in the other orange slot and see if it checks out with the memtest utility? If not how do I run mem slots?

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Arrangement of memory in an NF4 dual channel 939 motherboard by DFI. This does not include the

Infinity series but the NF4 series including the newer Expert and Venus series. Also includes the RDX200 CF-DR and the newer CFX3200-DR.

May use one stick in the Orange slot futherest from the cpu. It will be single channel. Sometimes may use one stick in the Orange and the Yellow slot furtherest from the cpu. It will be two stick single channel.

Never can use single stick in Orange slot closest to cpu. Will never work.

Never can use single stick in Yellow slot closest to cpu. Will never work.

In order to use memory in dual channel which is what the memory controller in the processor expects; you should FIRST put sticks in the Orange slots. This will be true for greater than 90% of

ALL memories.

You may put memory in the Orange slots and run dual channel BUT you cannot put three (3) sticks of

memory in the board and have it work.

Basically 1 stick Orange slot furtherest from cpu.

2 sticks using both Orange slots.

4 sticks using Orange and Yellow slots with attention to details of memory configuration settings in

bios.

Those actually are the only valid memory stick combinations. Except sometimes two sticks in the

Orange and Yellow slots furtherest from cpu will work as single channel only.

RGone...:confused:

well I think you should assume that they should be in the two orange slots as thats what your book says right ?

Well, if I can't even get to the bios screen with two sticks in the slots then I think I have to assume that won't work right? Did I mention that two sticks only give me nothing but long beeps?

Are you saying that I can put the two sticks in the two orange slots and still run memtest with pertinent results?

Arrangement of memory in an NF4 dual channel 939 motherboard by DFI. This does not include the

Infinity series but the NF4 series including the newer Expert and Venus series. Also includes the RDX200 CF-DR and the newer CFX3200-DR.

May use one stick in the Orange slot futherest from the cpu. It will be single channel. Sometimes may use one stick in the Orange and the Yellow slot furtherest from the cpu. It will be two stick single channel.

Never can use single stick in Orange slot closest to cpu. Will never work.

Never can use single stick in Yellow slot closest to cpu. Will never work.

In order to use memory in dual channel which is what the memory controller in the processor expects; you should FIRST put sticks in the Orange slots. This will be true for greater than 90% of

ALL memories.

You may put memory in the Orange slots and run dual channel BUT you cannot put three (3) sticks of

memory in the board and have it work.

Basically 1 stick Orange slot furtherest from cpu.

2 sticks using both Orange slots.

4 sticks using Orange and Yellow slots with attention to details of memory configuration settings in

bios.

Those actually are the only valid memory stick combinations. Except sometimes two sticks in the

Orange and Yellow slots furtherest from cpu will work as single channel only.

RGone...:confused:

Thank you. I have been able to successfully run one stick of ram in the orange slot furtherest from the CPU. I have not been able to run two sticks of ram in the two orange slots. I have not tried at any time any ram in any slot other than the orange slots. I have not tried one stick of ram in the orange slot closest to the CPU. I have only tried one stick of ram in the orange slot furtherest from the CPU - good - and one stick of ram in both orange slots - bad. When I attempt to run two sticks of ram in the two orange slots I get a long beep followed by silence followed by a long beep followed by silence followed by a long beep ........... ad infinitum. I'm sorry if I've been unclear in my prior posts.

Yes he is but only if you can get to the bios to turn on Memtest ;). You need to boot with one working stick (both work so your cool ;)) enter bios and set the mem settings accordingly (I know you dont know what that is yet ;)) so that the other stick of ram will work with its "brother"

YOu should search the Stock settings data base or the Overclocking Data base for users with similar ram to your self and try some of there settings.

Logan

Yes he is but only if you can get to the bios to turn on Memtest ;). You need to boot with one working stick (both work so your cool ;)) enter bios and set the mem settings accordingly (I know you dont know what that is yet ;)) so that the other stick of ram will work with its "brother"

YOu should search the Stock settings data base or the Overclocking Data base for users with similar ram to your self and try some of there settings.

Logan

I have searched and used several of the setting offered. I have also used settings suggested by the OCZ rep Ryder. None of them will work with two sticks. Only one stick in the orange slot furtherest from the CPU. I'm going to attempt to run memtest with two installed in the orange slots now. Back later.

I have searched and used several of the setting offered. I have also used settings suggested by the OCZ rep Ryder. None of them will work with two sticks. Only one stick in the orange slot furtherest from the CPU. I'm going to attempt to run memtest with two installed in the orange slots now. Back later.

Ok, as I'm sure those of you experts out there knew already memtest wouldn't run with two sticks in the orange slots if I can't get anything but beeps out of the system.

Any further suggestions? Thanks.